Indonesian student wins gold medal at chemistry competition in Thailand
The Jakarta Post
A student from SMA 8 state high school in Pekanbaru, Riau, has taken home the gold medal from the 49th International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO) held in Bangkok form July 6-15.
Seventeen-year-old Dean Fanggohans told news agency Antara that maximum preparation, self-discipline and an attitude of not giving up were the keys to his success. “I once failed in the selection phase of an international olympiad, in India in 2013,” he said. “If I had given up that time, I wouldn’t have come out as the winner this year.”
The student shared that he sought to win more gold medals for Indonesia at international science competitions. Regarding his future, he said that he wanted “to be an entrepreneur building a chemical factory."
Riau Governor Arsyadjuliandi “Andi” Rachman (left) poses with Dean Fanggohans. (instagram.com/andirachmangubri/File)
At the 48th IChO held in Georgia last year, the Indonesian delegation only brought home two silver and two bronze medals. “I heard this is [also] the first time for Indonesia to receive a gold [medal] since 2009,” said Riau Governor Arsyadjuliandi “Andi” Rachman.
In addition to the gold medal, the Indonesian team was also awarded three silver medals in Bangkok, which were received by Fahmi Naufal Rizki from SMA Kharisma Bangsa in South Tangerang, M. Ridho Setiyawan from SMA 1 in Central Jawa and Mario Lorenzo from SMA BPK Penabur Gading Serpong in Tangerang.
The International Chemistry Olympiad is an annual competition for students of chemistry. This year, participants from 76 countries competed in the event, with tests including theory and practice in the lab. (wir/kes)
- Muslim couple denied Swiss citizenship over handshake refusal
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Google launches special features for Asian Games 2018
- Cricket hero Imran Khan sworn in as Pakistan PM
- National Folk Museum of Korea to bring ‘mobile museums’ to Asian Games
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi opens Asian Games in dazzling ceremony
- Asian Games: Japanese athletes, officials comfortable staying in athletes villag...
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program