Indonesian students recognized at memory championship in Hong Kong
The Jakarta Post
Two Indonesian students were awarded Grandmaster Memory titles at the International Asia Memory Championship in Hong Kong on Aug. 26-27.
Fakhri Shafly E. from SMA 26 state senior high school in Jakarta received the recognition for his ability to memorize 722 random numbers and eight decks of cards in 30 minutes, while Shafa Annisa R. from SMP Kesatuan Bangsa junior high school in Yogyakarta memorized 680 random numbers and seven decks of cards in 30 minutes, according to Antara news agency.
"[Fakhri and Shafa were] also able to memorize one deck of cards each in 60.54 and 58 seconds," said Indonesia Memory Sports Council chairman Yudi Lesmana in a press release on Thursday.
The two reportedly also collected 3,000 points in the competition participated by people from several places, including Germany, United States, Taiwan, China, Mongolia, Macau, Malaysia, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Hong Kong.
The championship featured 10 competition sessions, including memorizing faces and names in 15 minutes, memorizing years and events in five minutes, and memorizing random images in five minutes.
In addition to the titles, Indonesia also collected one silver medal and two bronze won by Fakhri, Shafa and a student of SMP Salman Alfarisi junior high school in Bandung, Fathimah Aiko.
Indonesia ranked fourth after Mongolia, Germany and China.
The Asia Memory Championship is part of the world series ahead of the IAM World Memory Championship slated to take place in Jakarta on Dec. 1-3. (kes)
- Jakarta to receive two MRT trains in March
- Riau ups wildfire alert status
- Government halts all elevated projects
- Agnez Mo’s ‘Vogue US’ magazine is out
- Indonesia to regulate domestic coal price to curb electricity costs
- 3 factories on Bekasi riverbank do not have permit to dispose of liquid waste
- Government to set new coal price formula next week
- Farmers use organic farming to reduce dependence on imported pesticides, fertilizers
- Jakarta-Bandung high speed train fares may reach Rp 500,000
- Catholic leader forgives attacker of Yogyakarta church