TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Govt on track to limit coal output

  • Raras Cahyafitri

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Mon, August 25, 2014   /  03:38 pm

The government has announced that it will proceed with plans to cap the production of coal next year, a move aimed not only at protecting the environment but also at helping stem a decline in global coal prices.

Amid projections that coal prices would remain low next year, the government expressed optimism that it could limit annual coal production to around 400 million tons once the policy takes effect next year.

'€œIt [the quota] will not exceed 400 [million tons]. But they [companies] are still allowed to export,'€ the mineral and coal director general at the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry, R. Sukhyar, told The Jakarta Post recently.

'€œCompanies only need to adjust their capacity and the facilities [to comply with the policy]. I don'€™t think the policy will cause any problems,'€ he said.

The government projects that total coal production will reach 421 million tons this year, the same amount that was produced in 2013. Around 25 percent of coal produced services domestic demands, while the remaining 75 percent is exported abroad.

Indonesia is Asia's biggest exporter of thermal coal for power plants.

Coal production remained strong in the last couple of years despite a decline in global coal prices of US$73 per ton this year and $82 per ton last year, according to the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry. The price for coal peaked in 2010 at over $100 per ton. (ren)

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now