TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Indonesia blocks more radical websites

  • Nani Afrida

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Sat, January 30, 2016   /  05:02 pm

The Communications and Information Ministry has blocked more radical websites in an attempt to prevent the dissemination of radical ideas that could contribute to terrorism.

'€œThis is a follow-up to a previous announcement from the ministry. Based on the meeting, the panel recommended blocking nine radical websites,'€ the ministry'€™s spokesperson, Ismail Cawidu, said.

Earlier on Monday, the ministry announced it had blocked 24 radical websites, bringing the total to 33.

He said that the websites expressed support for the Islamic State (IS) movement and provided detailed instructions on how to make bombs.

Cawidu said that one of the radical websites belonged to Bahrun Naim, an IS member who is suspected of orchestrating the terrorist attack in Central Jakarta on Jan. 14. Bahrun is now living in Raqqa, Syria with fellow jihadists.

His website, bahrumnaim.space contains the teachings of IS, instructions on how to start a terrorist attack, including a how-to guide on assembling handmade guns and conducting urban warfare, as well as on avoiding intelligence surveillance.

Besides bahrumnaim.space, the government also shut down eramuslim.com, majanik.com, langitmuslim.blogspot.co.id, kajiantauhid.blogspot.co.id, muslimmori1.blogspot.co and pendukungdaulahislam.blogspot.co.id.

The websites were found in violation of Article 28 (2) of the 2008 Electronic Information and Transaction (ITE) Law on promoting hate speech.

The ministry has blocked more than 6,700 websites, 90 percent of which contained pornography.

'€œThe government is concerned with websites carrying negative contents from pornography, gambling, illegal trade of drugs and medicine as well as radicalism,'€ Cawidu said.

He said that the number of radical websites blocked by the government was small compared to pornography websites.

The ministry has also called on the public to join the fight against illegal websites.

'€œWe need help and people'€™s participation to give information. They can report directly to us, or email as [email protected],'€ Cawidu said.

Terrorism expert Wawan Purwanto said the government needed to be persistent in cracking down on websites promoting radical beliefs.

'€œThe radical websites will return under a different name. It might be a tiresome process for the authority, but the government needs to be persistent,'€ Wawan told The Jakarta Post.

He said that the government and terrorist groups were engaged in the same cyberwar.

'€œThe strongest will win. This is why persistence is very important for the government,'€ Wawan said.

It was reported that the ministry had also given permission to the National Police, the National Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT) and the National Intelligence Agency (BIN) to block websites or social media accounts containing radical or terrorism-related content.

--------------------

To receive comprehensive and earlier access to The Jakarta Post print edition, please subscribe to our epaper through iOS' iTunes, Android's Google Play, Blackberry World or Microsoft's Windows Store. Subscription includes free daily editions of The Nation, The Star Malaysia, the Philippine Daily Inquirer and Asia News.

For print subscription, please contact our call center at (+6221) 5360014 or [email protected]