The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has ordered the management of the National Monument (Monas) in Central Jakarta to remove a fence to open all parts of the park to visitors.
Currently, some 50 percent of the fence in the Monas area has been removed, Monas technical management unit head Munjirin said on Thursday, as quoted by kompas.com.
He added that the fence had to be removed because some parts had been severely damaged.
Previously, Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno said he wanted to turn Monas into a park similar to Central Park in New York or Hyde Park in London.
Meanwhile, Anies said he did not mind visitors stepping on the grass.
"We can replant the grass, it will grow fast. Let's not consider Monas as a garden, but as a park," he added. "A park is a place where people can play and take part in various activities." (cal)