The Jakarta Post
Twelve houses were destroyed when a fire ripped through a neighborhood in Grogol Petamburan, West Jakarta, on Monday.
The West Jakarta Fire and Rescue Agency's fire prevention and rescue unit head, Rompis Romlih, said the cause of the fire was thought to be a short circuit in a house in the neighborhood.
“The fire started on the second floor of a resident’s house. We deployed 15 firetrucks to deal with the blaze,” Rompis said as quoted by Warta Kota.
Rosmah, a resident, said she was ironing her clothes when the fire started.
“The fire started all of a sudden, I didn’t know where it came from. I noticed smoke and then the fire had already reached my room,” said Rosmah, whose first instinct was to save her two children.
Another resident, Yati, said she was taking a bath when smoke filled the room.
“I panicked and called for my children. I went to call my husband at work, but all of our phones were in the house,” recounted Yati, who said she could not save her belongings from the raging flames. (jlm)