TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Rights groups call for restraint, dialogue after mass killing

  • Karina M. Tehusijarana

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Fri, December 7 2018   /  12:27 am
Time of loss: Indonesian Military personnel load coffins into a carrier aircraft in Wamena, Papua, on Thursday. Indonesian security forces have retrieved the bodies of 16 people in the aftermath of a massacre of construction workers claimed by separatist rebels in the restive province, the military said on Thursday.(AFP/Staf Steel)(AFP/Staf Steel)

Time of loss: Indonesian Military personnel load coffins into a carrier aircraft in Wamena, Papua, on Thursday. Indonesian security forces have retrieved the bodies of 16 people in the aftermath of a massacre of construction workers claimed by separatist rebels in the restive province, the military said on Thursday.(AFP/Staf Steel)As the government looks to respond to the killing of civilians in Nduga regency, Papua, for which an armed separatist group has claimed responsibility, human rights activists have called for restraint in order to stop the cycle of violence plaguing the region.

National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian and Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister Wiranto confirmed on Wednesday that 19 civilians and one Indonesian Military (TNI) soldier had been killed by an armed group linked to the Free Papua Movement (OPM).

A faction of the Na...