In Alor, a centuries-old Koran is revered
The Jakarta Post
Ancient text: An 800-year-old Koran in Alor Besar, East Nusa Tenggara. The hand-written Koran, crafted from tree bark, is an historic part of the Islamic culture of Indonesia. (JP/Yemris Fointuna)Alor Besar is a small village in Alor, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT).
It is nestled on the slopes of a hill facing the ocean. Most of its residents earn their livelihoods as farmers or fishermen.
- Six Singaporean military personnel deported after Batam raid
- Taipei guide: Four places where fireflies light up the night sky
- Bali declared world's top destination for 2017
- Norwegian man caught stealing iPhone at Garuda lounge
- Duterte says he can be 50 times more brutal than terrorists
- Nearing 100-day mark, Trump says milestone not 'meaningful'
- Kanye West, adidas announce launch of newest Yeezy sneakers
- Anies refuses to talk about programs until official election result
- The sad saga of North Korea's ATMs
- State lender BNI to open branch office in Melbourne