Hatta better take VP slot: Amien
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Senior politician of the National Mandate Party (PAN) Amien Rais has suggested that party chairman Hatta Rajasa run as the vice presidential candidate in 2014 given the party's low electability rating.
"He [Hatta] is the candidate of PAN. But in politics, you have to be flexible. If PAN gets more than 10 percent of the vote, that will be fine. But if it gets less than that, he should take the vice presidential slot," Amien said as quoted by tribunnews.com.
He said that the best possible tickets for Hatta would be that he would be paired with Greater Indonesia Movement (Gerindra) Party chief patron Lt. Gen. (ret) Prabowo Subianto or popular Jakarta Governor Joko "Jokowi" Widodo.
A recent survey by the Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI) ranked him ninth of all candidates, with support from only 1.2 percent of respondents, far below top-ranking Jakarta Governor Joko Widodo on 22 percent and former general Prabowo Subianto on 14 percent.
- N.Sumatra dispatches assistance for Aceh earthquake victims
- Catholic university refuses to remove billboards with hijab-clad student
- Study finds majority of people condemning Ahok's ‘blasphemy’ not well informed
- Indonesia over the moon after $9.4 million win against Churchill
- Public faith in Jokowi remains high despite anti-Ahok movement
- Muslims lambast Christmas service raid in Bandung
- FUI forces Christian university to drop billboard with hijab-clad student
- Rachmawati says meetings, cash transfer not evidence of treason
- Jokowi meets Kofi Annan to discuss Myanmar
- Indonesia juggles globalism and nationalism