Jokowi popularity soaring: survey
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
A new survey by Jakarta-based pollster the United Data Center (PDB) has found that Jakarta Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo is the potential candidate to beat in the 2014 presidential election.
PDB researcher Agus Herta Sumarto said that the electability rating of Jokowi now stood at 36 percent, ahead of his strongest rival Great Indonesia Movement (Gerindra) Party Lt. Gen. (ret) Prabowo Subianto, with 6.6 percent.
In the PDB's earlier survey conducted in January 2013, Jokowi's electability rating was only 1 percent higher than that of Prabowo.
'If a presidential election were to take place today, Jokowi would be the clear winner,' Agus said.
The PDB interviewed more than 500 individuals for the survey in the country's 10 major cities between Sept. 21 and Sept. 24. The survey also found that none of prospective presidential candidates who were now contesting the Democratic Party convention could compete with Jokowi.
'Even the convention's most popular candidate Dahlan Iskan is way behind Jokowi,' Agus said, adding that the electability rating for Dahlan was 5 percent.
You might also like :
- Jakarta officials confirm Ahok returned Rp 1.2b in operational funds
- 7 people caught red-handed by KPK in alleged bribery case
- Ahok resigns from post, returns money
- Ramadhan begins on Saturday, govt says
- Children’s book launched to promote Indonesian culture, wildlife
- Five people arrested in relation to Jakarta twin suicide bomb attack
- Further attacks feared
- Study finds moratorium does little to curb deforestation
- Maria Ozawa, Filipino-Spanish BF in first pictorial as a couple
- NU intensifies monitoring to curb radicalism during Ramadhan