Tons of fish in Cirata, Saguling dams dead
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Tons of fish cultivated at the Cirata and Saguling dams in West Bandung regency, West Java, died due to the impacts of extreme weather in the regency over the last few days.
'The deaths [of the fish], which were sparked by the absence of sunlight, caused fish farmers in the Cirata and Saguling dams to suffer losses estimated at billions of rupiah,' Sundaya, a representative of the local fish farming association, said on Monday as quoted by Antara.
He added that the lack of sunlight reduced the oxygen content in water, making it difficult for the fish to breathe, leading them to die. 'Additionally, the high intensity of rainfall caused water from the bottom of dams, containing sediment and mud and the remains of fish food, to rise to the surface,' said Sundaya.
That, according to him, resulted in the creation of toxic conditions in which the fish could not survive for long, even types of fish that have the power to survive in various climate conditions. 'For example, the fish of the tilapia species died because of [these conditions], even though they are classified as strong fish,' he said.
It was also feared that the extreme weather could spark virus attacks. 'It's difficult to detect infections from viruses, which usually attack the fish's gills,' Sundaya said.
His association therefore demanded support from the local government to help farmers overcome the impacts of the extreme weather.(krb)
You might also like :
- After stunning growth streak, Amazon ambitions seem boundless
- 'Do not test Israel', Netanyahu tells Iran, brandishing drone 'piece'
- Romeo the lonesome frog is feelin' the love
- Fidel Castro is not Trudeau's real father: Canadian govt
- No instruction to bar Anies from pitch: Palace
- Philippines says in talks with China for joint sea exploration
- Seeking post-Brexit unity, EU leaders find more fights
- Saudi women to start own busines without male permission
- Enjoying legendary 'Jenang' in Surakarta
- Daddy Yankee gets the world dancing again with viral song