TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Real Madrid loses appeal over cup disqualification

Real Madrid players celebrate after Isco scored against Cadiz during a Copa del Rey soccer match between Cadiz and Real Madrid at the Ramon de Carranza stadium in Cadiz, Spain, Dec

The Jakarta Post
Madrid
Fri, December 11, 2015 Published on Dec. 11, 2015 Published on 2015-12-11T11:57:45+07:00

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Real Madrid players celebrate after Isco scored against Cadiz during a Copa del Rey soccer match between Cadiz and Real Madrid at the Ramon de Carranza stadium in Cadiz, Spain, Dec. 2. (AP/Angel Fernandez) Real Madrid players celebrate after Isco scored against Cadiz during a Copa del Rey soccer match between Cadiz and Real Madrid at the Ramon de Carranza stadium in Cadiz, Spain, Dec. 2. (AP/Angel Fernandez) (AP/Angel Fernandez)

R

span class="caption">Real Madrid players celebrate after Isco scored against Cadiz during a Copa del Rey soccer match between Cadiz and Real Madrid at the Ramon de Carranza stadium in Cadiz, Spain, Dec. 2. (AP/Angel Fernandez)

The Spanish soccer federation on Thursday confirmed Real Madrid's disqualification from the Copa del Rey because of an ineligible player.

A federation committee dismissed Madrid's appeal, and the club immediately said it would take the case to Spain's Administrative Court for Sport.

Real Madrid was eliminated in its opening round for fielding Denis Cheryshev in a first-leg 3-1 win over Cadiz on Dec. 2. Cheryshev was carrying a one-match suspension for yellow cards last season, when he played for Villarreal on loan from Madrid.

Madrid insists that Cheryshev was not properly informed of the suspension.

"Real Madrid has received and analyzed the resolution of the appeals committee, which once again verifies that the player was not notified of his ban, the only way the aforementioned ban can take effect," the club said in a statement. "The club has therefore submitted an appeal to the Administrative Court for Sport."

The Spanish federation had already dismissed Madrid's line of defense, and in Thursday's ruling again disputed the club's claim that Cheryshev was not personally notified. The federation said that all necessary legal proceedings were observed.

The second leg was originally scheduled for next Wednesday at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, and Madrid continued to sell tickets for the game, saying that "in the event that the match is not played, Real Madrid will refund the full price of the purchased tickets." (kes)(+)

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.