Indonesia fails to get ICAO Council membership
The Jakarta Post
For the umpteenth time, Indonesia’s plan to get airspace control above Riau and Riau Islands has been delayed as it failed to get an International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) council membership for 2016-2019.
Hang Nadim Airport general manager Suwarso said on Wednesday that after Indonesia’s bid to become an ICAO council member failed, the plan to take over the flight information region (FIR) above the two provinces, which are presently controlled by Singapore, could not be implemented.
“It’s unlikely for us to take over the FIR above Riau and Riau Islands. It could happen only if Indonesia became an ICAO Council member,” said Suwarso.
He further explained that since the beginning, Singapore had doubted Indonesia’s capacity in controlling the airspace above Riau and Riau Islands.
“I don’t know exactly why Indonesia failed in its ICAO Council membership bid,” said Suwarso, adding that Indonesia was initially optimistic about obtaining the membership.
During a selection meeting at the ICAO headquarters in Montreal, Canada, on Tuesday, Indonesia won support from 96 out of 191 member countries.
Indonesian Ambassador to Singapore I Gede Ngurah Swajaya and Transportation Minister Budi Mulya attended the meeting.
Based on a consensus, ICAO works to determine standard regulations and civil aviation policies to create aviation practices that are safe, efficient, economic and environmentally sustainable.
Singapore has controlled the airspace above the Riau Islands since 1946 and since 1993 Indonesia has tried to take over the airspace but has always failed. Singapore has claimed it is ready to return airspace control over the Riau Islands and the surrounding area when ICAO gives the green light. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Lotte Chemical Indonesia begins construction of plant in Cilegon
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Jokowi stresses tolerance at cultural congress conclusion
- TNI denies explosive use during rescue after Papua shootings
- Low deficits and fiscal prudence
- Tips to help you brew better coffee at home