New regulation opens way for geothermal sector’s infrastructure financing
Fedina S. Sundaryani
The Jakarta Post
The Finance Ministry recently issued a new ministerial decree regulating the management of funds for the geothermal sector by state-owned infrastructure financing company PT Sarana Multi Infrastruktur (SMI).
The new decree stipulates that SMI will be able to supply funds to be used for loans, capital or exploration activities to compile data.
"For loans or capital, SMI will supply the funds based on a business corporation scheme with SMI. Meanwhile, [funds] for geothermal data and information will be based on assignments by the Finance Ministry," a press statement said.
SMI's funding is expected to help minimize the risks that come with the large investments needed during the exploration stage, which has led to a lack of eagerness from prospective investors.
The government hopes the funds will help with new discoveries, which will eventually increase the use of geothermal for electricity generation.
Indonesia is estimated to have 29 gigawatts (GW) of geothermal potential. However, it still operates geothermal power plants with an installed capacity of 1,698.5 megawatts (MW), but aims to increase it to 1,858.5 MW by the end of the year.
In the long run, the government hopes to generate up to 7,200 MW by 2025, 3.8 percent of the total targeted 23 percent share of the national energy mix for renewable sources. (tas)
- Electronic music and poetry collide in ‘Melihat Puisi’
- Who will be new Singapore PM? Test him in the next general election
- Susi beats Sandiaga in Lake Sunter showdown
- Aceh, Dubai-based firm to start hydrocarbon survey
- Impossible to pair Kalla with Jokowi again, PDI-P says
- BPJS Ketenagakerjaan seeks to book Rp 367.8 trillion in funds
- Czech schoolboy maps his life from disabled to designer
- The movie ‘Sekala Niskala’ won Grand Prix at Berlin International Film Festival 2018
- In 'Coco' child star's story, life and art intertwine
- Rohingya exodus still growing, six months into crisis