OJK simplifies regional bond procedures
The Jakarta Post
The Financial Services Authority (OJK) has simplified the procedures for regional governments to sell bonds in the capital market and raise funds to help finance infrastructure projects in their regions.
Technically, regional governments have been allowed to issue bonds for more than a decade now. However, none have come forward because of the complex procedures set up by the central government.
The new procedures, outlined in an OJK regulation issued on Friday, promises to make the procedures simpler, but still ensuring sustainability and the ability of the regional governments to repay its debts.
How the regions manage their budget was important, OJK chairman Wimboh Santoso said at a press conference at the Indonesian Stock Exchange on Friday.
“Investors’ trust is dependent on how these regions manage their finances, and how they spend the bond money,” Wimboh added.Read also: OJK to finish revision of rules on municipal bonds this year
For now, regional governments’ stream revenue comes mainly from central government contribution, local taxes and licensing fees. They barely cover their operational needs, let alone to finance major projects.
Wimboh disclosed that West, Central and East Java were already at an advanced stage to issue the bonds. He did not say when this would happen.
On the same day, the OJK also issued two other regulations – on green bond procedures to raise money backed by natural resources and on an e-registration system to boost its service efficiency and transparency to stakeholders. (sha/lnd)
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Indonesia attracts buyers at Hamburg COTECA trade expo
- Saudi Arabia's foreign minister to visit Indonesia
- In China's Catholic heartland, Vatican deal brings Communist Party closer
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Latest list of Michelin stars in Seoul released
- The other side of Korea: Art, food and history