Two arrested in Dumai for smuggling crystal meth
The Jakarta Post
Two suspected members of an international drug syndicate, Chairul Fadli, 27, and S. Bahri, 20, both from Aceh, were arrested in Dumai, Riau province, Sumatra, on Tuesday for allegedly smuggling two kilograms of crystal methamphetamine from Malaysia.
Fadli, a resident of Bireuen regency, Aceh, reportedly exhibited unusual behavior after he disembarked from the Dumai Line ferry, resulting in his arrest by Dumai Customs and Excise Office personnel, office head Adhang Nugroho said.
“He came from Selat Panjang, Meranti Islands. He acted suspiciously, forcing the officers to take him in and inspect his belongings with an X-ray detector. Two packages wrapped in aluminum foil containing what was believed to be crystal meth were found in his backpack,” Adhang said on Thursday.
At the Dumai Police, Fadli was interrogated.
“He told the police that another suspect, Bahri, had been detained at the office of Makmur Bus, a bus service to North Sumatra; he was waiting for Fadli there,” said Dumai Police chief AKBP Restika P. Nainggolan. Bahri was arrested by the police only a few hours after he arrived at the office.
Restika said that, during interrogation, Bahri admitted he had been assigned to pick up Fadli and accompany him to smuggle the drugs to Aceh.
“Fadli had been working as a migrant worker in Johor, Malaysia, and he had coordinated with drug suppliers there,” he added. “Both of them are still being interrogated to reveal their [alleged] drug syndicate." (nmn/ebf)
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport
- US centers force migrant children to take drugs -lawsuit
- Traveler forgets father at rest stop upon return from Lebaran holiday