Anti-Jokowi hashtag potent in West Java, says Golkar politician
The Jakarta Post
West Java deputy gubernatorial candidate Dedi Mulyadi said he believed the hashtag #2019GantiPresiden (#2019ChangePresident) was responsible for his camp’s loss in the province’s gubernatorial election.
Dedi Mulyadi, a Golkar Party politician, ran as a pair with Deddy Mizwar in the gubernatorial election against pairs Sudrajat-Ahmad Syaikhu, TB Hasanudin-Anton Charliyan and Ridwan Kami-Uu Ruzhanul Ulum.
As quoted by tempo.co, Dedi said the hashtag increased the popularity of Sudrajat and Ahmad Syaikhu and could pose a threat for Golkar in the 2019 general elections.
Golkar is a member of the coalition supporting President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo to run for a second term in the 2019 presidential election.
Dedi said he was already aware of the threat since Sudrajat Syaikhu introduced the hashtag in a public debate in the University of Indonesia.
“This is clever,” he said in Bandung on Friday.
According to Dedi, the effect of the popular hashtag could already be seen a month before the election, when the survey results showed declining popularity. “The number of those voting for me decreased from 43 percent to 37 percent. It also reduced the voters for Ridwan Kamil,” he said.
A West Java quick count shows that Sudrajat-Syaikhu got 28 percent of the vote. “It was amazing […] In this situation, my camp suffered the most,” he said, highlighting the fact that his running mate Deddy Mizwar was supported by the Democratic Party, which has yet to nominate a presidential candidate. (gis/ahw)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says