Rupiah weakens slightly on Wednesday
The Jakarta Post
The rupiah weakened slightly on Wednesday to Rp 14,863 per US dollar, from Rp 14, 835 on Monday, according to Bank Indonesia’s Jakarta Interbank Spot Dollar Rate (JISDOR).
Samuel Sekuritas Indonesia economist Ahmad Mikail said the weakening trend might continue should the dollar index remain at 95.
He said the dollar was still in a strong position amid the trade war between the United States and China. “China plans to report the US to the WTO [World Trade Organization] for the US’ plan to increase import tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese products,” he added as reported by kontan.co.id
Ahmad also said the government’s poor debt paper sales on Wednesday had also contributed to negative sentiment.
He estimated an exchange rate of Rp 14,850 to 14,950 per dollar on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Bank Central Asia economist David Sumual called on the government to remain alert, although previously, Nomura Holdings Inc. said Indonesia was not likely to be affected by the monetary crisis as foreign exchange reserves stood at US$117.9 billion, while the country’s debt to gross domestic product ratio was relatively low.
David said the government’s efforts to lower the current account deficit had also contributed to the positive assessment of the economy. (bbn)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...