RI’s men sepak takraw team wins bronze, first medal from Palembang
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian men’s sepak takraw team has finally secured a bronze medal, the first medal won in Jakabaring Sport Center, Palembang, on the fourth day of the 18th Asian Games, after bowing down to arch opponent Malaysia 0-2 in the semis.
Malaysia will see Thailand in the final round on Wednesday. However, the sepak takraw matches will be slightly delayed due to the morning Idul Adha mass prayers.
The women sepak takraw team semifinals, between Thailand versus Myanmar and Vietnam versus Korea, are also slated to be held after the morning prayers.
Commenting on this, Saipul Herson Mohammad, captain of the team, acknowledged that the team had already been all-out but still could not bring home the gold medal.
Assistant coach Abdul Gani said he still expected that the Indonesian sepak takraw teams had a chance to snatch more medals in men’s team double, men’s team, men’s quadrant and women’s quadrant categories.
“We are optimistic about getting more medals,” he said.
Coordinating Human Development and Culture Minister Puan Maharani, who visited the sepak takraw venue with the newly installed Administrative and Bureaucratic Reform Minister Syafruddin, has also shared the same sentiment, saying Indonesia had always been deemed as among the strong sepak takraw teams in the region.
“We still have faith that the sepak takraw team can do better and gain gold medals,” she said.
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Political parties clash over sharia-based bylaws
- Your next Uber ride may have a minifridge stocked with snacks
- Indonesia launches 16th economic package
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw