Indonesian cuisine recognized at World Street Food Congress 2017
The Jakarta Post
The Tourism Ministry’s Culinary and Shopping Tourism Acceleration Team recently travelled to Manila in the Philippines from June 1 to 4 to attend the World Street Food Congress 2017.
“Indonesian dishes are being recognized by world-class culinary figures [at the event] due to their high quality and unique character,” said the team's head, Vita Datau Messakh at the congress.
One of the speakers at the event, American chef and TV personality Anthony Bourdain, reportedly praised the different kinds of Indonesian cuisine that have influenced the culinary palate of neighboring Southeast Asian countries.
Read also: A taste of the best rendang in Jakarta
KF Seetoh, founder of Makansutra and initiator of World Street Food Congress 2017, advised Indonesia to quickly register rendang (beef simmered in coconut milk and spices) as Indonesian cultural heritage to UNESCO.
In another session, young Singaporean chef Malcom Lee who owns Candlenut restaurant mentioned a fan-favorite recipe of his that uses keluak (black nut) from Indonesia.
“Lee also spoke about the time he explored Jakarta and fell in love with sate ayam [chicken satay] Madura served by a street vendor. That satay became his inspiration for creating the menu at his restaurant, which has earned a Michelin star,” said Vita.
Meanwhile, Peter Lloyd of UK-based Sticky Mango Restaurant spoke of a dessert served at his establishment that uses kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) from Indonesia.
The culinary sector in Indonesia contributes a total gross of Rp 208.6 trillion (US$15.7 billion) with average growth of 4.5 percent. (kes)
- Soekarno-Hatta Airport to implement cashless transactions for parking
- Popular tourist sites in Bali safe amid tremors around Mount Agung
- Entrepreneur wants to put Indonesia on the world technology map
- 'Super malaria' spreading through SE Asia, poses global threat
- Bill Gates expresses regret over ‘Control+Alt+Delete’ button
- Tourism minister officiates new diving center in Tanjung Lesung
- Court dismisses KPK’s objection in Setya’s pretrial hearing
- Car Free Day ineffective in reducing air pollution: Committee
- Violence cases against women, children in Jambi increased: Official
- Supermodel reunion at blockbuster Versace tribute in Milan