Nobel Physics laureate to give public lectures in Bandung
The Jakarta Post
The Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB) has invited Dutch theoretical physicist professor Gerard ’t Hooft, who shared the 1999 Nobel Prize in Physics with Martinus JG Veltman, to be a guest speaker at the sixth International Conference on Mathematics and Natural Sciences at ITB in Bandung, West Java, on Nov. 2-3.
The conference will comprise two public lectures delivered by professor Hooft from Utrecht University in the Netherlands, which will discuss challenges in physics research and education and "Standard Model and Beyond”. The scientist is also scheduled to give a grand public lecture titled "A Road to Nobel Prize” in Sasana Budaya Ganesha (Sabuga) on Friday.
“This visit to ITB will bring intellectual enlightenment to the general public on the field of physics and give inspiration to students in Indonesia to improve science and technology," said ITB professor Djoko Santoso on Monday in Bandung as quoted by Antara news agency.
Hooft is also slated to attend a gala dinner with West Java Governor Ahmad Heryawan on Wednesday and visit historical sites in Bandung, including Bosscha Observatory.
The university previously invited two Nobel Price winners, the 1998 Nobel Chemistry laureate professor Robert Huber in 2011 and the 2011 Nobel Physics laureate professor Brian Schmidt in 2014. (mra/kes)
You might also like :
- Lake Toba to hold Gowes Samosir cycling event
- Karetan Market partners with waste management startup company
- Celebrity Fitri Carlina endorses Wonderful Indonesia, Banyuwangi tourism
- Block porn or be blocked, Indonesia warns Google, Twitter
- West Papua to host Senja Kaimana Festival 2017
- Tourism Ministry, KBRI promote five Indonesian destinations in Thailand
- Facebook launches new ‘Facebook Creator’ app for video content creators
- Karetan Market holds vlog competition for visitors
- Apple pushes back release of HomePod speaker to 2018
- East Java to host Situbondo Carnival