atrk
press enter to search

More K-pop stars stand up to online attacks

Yim Hyun-su

The Korea Herald/Asia News Network

| Fri, October 26, 2018 | 06:02 am
More K-pop stars stand up to online attacks

A court found a man guilty Tuesday of sex offenses, after he repeatedly sent sexually degrading content and messages to singer and actress Seolhyun. (FNC Entertainment/-)

A court found a man guilty Tuesday of sex offenses, after he repeatedly sent sexually degrading content and messages to singer and actress Seolhyun.

In addition, her agency FNC Entertainment said it is taking legal steps against people who had made and distributed digitally altered photos of Seolhyun, adding that there would be “no mercy”.

“We will pursue strong legal action against any criminal activity online and will continue our efforts to protect the basic rights of our artists and correct a skewed internet culture,” the agency said in the statement.

Her spirited battle against online abuse has garnered support.

“I want all the people who hurt others to be punished legally,” one user on major web portal Naver wrote.

“Being a celebrity is not a reason to be on the receiving end of vicious comments. I support suing them,” another read.

Seolhyun is not the only one standing up to online abuse. Ong Seong-wu from the boyband Wanna One is taking similar steps.

According to the singer’s agency Fantagio, the company filed a complaint on two separate occasions in October to the Seoul Central District Public Prosecutors Office against those who defamed and degraded Ong.

Read also: Dark side of K-pop: The East Light leader claims years of abuse

It has been reported that the agency looked through some 4,000 comments and decided to take action against those that blatantly hurt the artist’s rights and reputation.

“Beginning with Ong Seong-wu, we are going to continue taking legal steps against chronic online trolls both in civil and criminal cases with our law firm as a way of protecting our artists,” the agency said in a statement.

Jung Yu-mi, who starred in the megahit zombie film Train to Busan, is also taking legal measures against a person who spread rumors that she is dating famous TV producer Na Young-seok, which has been strongly denied by both parties involved.

Several local media outlets reported that the actress recently took part in police questioning after deciding to press charges against the “person who spread unfounded rumors,” citing her agency Soop Management. 

The agency also added there would be neither any “agreement” nor “mercy”.

Producer Na also reportedly filed a complaint to police last week and said he would not go easy as his reputation and family depends on the case.

The two worked together on tvN’s popular reality show Youn’s Kitchen.

Comments