Aceh sharia police loved and hated
The Jakarta Post
Hearing the words Wilayatul Hisbah (WH) or the sharia police, many people would imagine that the figures would be very pious and very religious individuals: officers wearing Islamic uniforms very similar to the Taliban in Afghanistan, or at least similar to the inhabitants of pesantren (Islamic boarding schools).
The one thing that distinguishes the sharia police from ordinary people ...
- Jokowi accused of promoting secularism
- Tax office to scrutinize rich Indonesians not taking part in tax amnesty
- Teens wearing leggings barred from United flight
- Indonesia to be world's 4th largest economy by 2045: Jokowi
- Tech startup Koltiva expands assistance to coffee, oil palm farmers
- Quality of West Kalimantan airport questioned following ceiling collapse
- Human or not? Mysterious figure caught on camera in Aceh sparks internet frenzy
- Ahok’s deputy promises card-based microcredit scheme for street vendors
- 8 Lombok-Bali flights cancelled for Nyepi
- Legislators baffled by conflicting interests in election bill