Letter: One law for all versus sharia law
The Jakarta Post
On June 20, there was a rally in London opposing the increasing use of sharia law in the UK. Sharia law poses a grave threat to all the freedoms that have been won through a long and hard struggle for democracy, social justice and equality.
In Indonesia, the abdication of civilian rule and constitutional rights in Aceh and the growing sharia-ization through bylaws in various regencies and municipalities in the rest of the country threatens all we have won through our freedom struggle, through revolution and through the democratic reformation post-Soeharto with a new Dark Age of bigotry and tyranny with men usurping the supposed authority of God.
The nightmare of Pakistan with its mass murder of "deviants" and the hangings in Iran for "crimes against chastity" should be warning enough for us to stop this slide into barbarity.
Bogor, West Java
- Two foreign tourists die in motorcycle accident in Bali
- Man accused of charging illegal fees to former East Timor residents
- Hong Kong to lure tourists with food festival
- LPG explosion in Pizza Hut outlet destroys four buildings
- EU supports development of Lake Toba tourism
- Jokowi's achievements need closer scrutiny: Indef
- Govt urged to pay more attention to farmers' welfare
- Victory in sight, Clinton still grapples with negative views
- Two Malaysians arrested in Batam for suspected human trafficking
- Australian delegation to meet trade minister Monday for meat talks