Hirata whisked away to the US for Idul Fitri
The Jakarta Post
JAKARTA: Author of the tetralogy Laskar Pelangi (Rainbow Warriors), Andrea Hirata, will celebrate Idul Fitri in the United States as he won a fellowship for an International Writing program at the University of Iowa.
The program runs from Aug. 28 to Nov. 16. “Sadly, I will celebrate this year’s Idul Fitri in the land of Uncle Sam,” he said as quoted by Antara.
“I hope I can find ketupat [steamed rice cakes] in the United States so I can eat my favorite dish during Idul Fitri,” he said.
“Even though I’m sad I have to celebrate Idul Fitri in a foreign country, this is a very good opportunity,” he said, adding that he had received the news from the US embassy in Indonesia. He is one of 13 people from around to world to be enrolled in the program. — JP
- Protesters put pressure on Metro TV, Kompas TV over ‘biased reporting’
- 8 arrested on treason charges ahead of rally
- Hard for Ahok to bounce back: Expert
- LIVE REPORT: Anti-Ahok rally
- Islamic religious texts must be read in context to understand blasphemy
- N. Sumatra governor fires official after intimidation from angry anti-Ahok crowd
- Police satisfied with peaceful anti-Ahok rally
- Thousands of worshipers flock to Monas for anti-Ahok gathering
- House of Representatives remained secure, police chief says
- Singer Ahmad Dhani, activists declared treason suspects