Hirata whisked away to the US for Idul Fitri
The Jakarta Post
JAKARTA: Author of the tetralogy Laskar Pelangi (Rainbow Warriors), Andrea Hirata, will celebrate Idul Fitri in the United States as he won a fellowship for an International Writing program at the University of Iowa.
The program runs from Aug. 28 to Nov. 16. “Sadly, I will celebrate this year’s Idul Fitri in the land of Uncle Sam,” he said as quoted by Antara.
“I hope I can find ketupat [steamed rice cakes] in the United States so I can eat my favorite dish during Idul Fitri,” he said.
“Even though I’m sad I have to celebrate Idul Fitri in a foreign country, this is a very good opportunity,” he said, adding that he had received the news from the US embassy in Indonesia. He is one of 13 people from around to world to be enrolled in the program. — JP
- Food that can help your skin heal more quickly
- For train lovers, a bargain 760-km trip may be just the ticket
- BI pushes 'waqf' development as financial welfare instrument
- Ahok still busy on his last day in office
- Ahok sets Jakarta minimum wage at Rp 3.35m
- BREAKING NEWS: Judges sentence Jessica to 20 years in prison
- 'I don't accept the verdict': Jessica
- Indonesia brings home Miss Grand International 2016 title
- Judges find Jessica guilty despite lack of eyewitnesses
- Seeking true happiness through meditation