News Analysis: US and ASEAN: Partners rather than allies
Endy M. Bayuni
The Jakarta Post
As the US and ASEAN forge closer ties based on growing mutual strategic interests, the meeting of their leaders in New York last week indicated that they are likely to proceed as partners rather than becoming allies.Political and security issues, which usually underpin alliances between nations, are part of this evolving relationship, but they take a backseat to economic and soft power issues, sug...
- Taipei guide: Four places where fireflies light up the night sky
- Six Singaporean military personnel deported after Batam raid
- Bali declared world's top destination for 2017
- Norwegian man caught stealing iPhone at Garuda lounge
- Duterte says he can be 50 times more brutal than terrorists
- Nearing 100-day mark, Trump says milestone not 'meaningful'
- Kanye West, adidas announce launch of newest Yeezy sneakers
- The sad saga of North Korea's ATMs
- Anies refuses to talk about programs until official election result
- French stocks soar to near-decade highs as Macron tops poll