Practicing benevolence, Samin tribe endures scorn
Elly Burhaini Faizal
The Jakarta Post
Benevolence plays an important role in the life of the Samin tribe, an indigenous community living in forested areas bordering Central Java and East Java provinces.
Stereotyped as rebellious people during the Dutch colonial era, the Samin still endure ridicule from others who consider them slow and resistant to change.
Unlike other local communities frequently rocked by tribal confl...
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Aceh
- Indonesia seeks to lure Chinese tourists to destinations outside Bali
- BREAKING: Government sacks Pertamina chief
- Rupiah weakens to almost Rp 13,900 against US dollar
- Two Palestinians killed by Israeli fire as Gaza protests dwindle
- Google is Indonesia's powerful weapon in war on illegal fishing
- Malindo Air flight suffers runway excursion in Kathmandu
- Insight: Fair trade for palm oil, please!
- Opposition questions Jokowi’s policy on foreign workers
- Suzuki introduces second-generation Ertiga