Specialist providing abortions named suspect
The Jakarta Post
Cilacap: An obstetrics and gynecology specialist, identified as RD, has been named a suspect for allegedly providing abortion services in Cilacap regency, Central Java, and could face up to 10 years in prison.
RD was arrested on March 16, one day after police raided his house and clinic on Jl. Gatot Soebroto, Central Cilacap, and found medical equipment used for carrying out abortions on the premises.
RD, who is in shock, is being treated at the Pertamina Hospital in Cilacap.
“The suspect is still being treated so we cannot question him yet. We have, however, questioned several other suspects and witnesses,” Cilacap Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Rudi Darmoko said on Monday.
Based on evidence confiscated by the police, the specialist provided abortions to an average of 150 young women per month, most of whom were under 20 years old. “The suspect conducted abortions on 500 patients during the past three months. This is very concerning,” Rudi said.
The raid was conducted based on a report filed by a Cilacap resident.
- Grassroots war on rabies
- Good nutrition entails safe drinking water
- Award-winning comedy series ‘Silicon Valley’ returns for season 3
- Rationality, deficit in democracy
- Jokowi meets with German President, discusses death penalty
- Repair harm done to Jakarta Bay, fishermen demand
- Indonesia to learn vocational education from Germany: Minister
- 1965 victims: We don’t want communism, just reconciliation
- Cold rice balls, no flush toilets at quake-hit Japan shelter
- NU calls on govt. to reveal truth behind 1965 tragedy