Specialist providing abortions named suspect
The Jakarta Post
Cilacap: An obstetrics and gynecology specialist, identified as RD, has been named a suspect for allegedly providing abortion services in Cilacap regency, Central Java, and could face up to 10 years in prison.
RD was arrested on March 16, one day after police raided his house and clinic on Jl. Gatot Soebroto, Central Cilacap, and found medical equipment used for carrying out abortions on the premises.
RD, who is in shock, is being treated at the Pertamina Hospital in Cilacap.
“The suspect is still being treated so we cannot question him yet. We have, however, questioned several other suspects and witnesses,” Cilacap Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Rudi Darmoko said on Monday.
Based on evidence confiscated by the police, the specialist provided abortions to an average of 150 young women per month, most of whom were under 20 years old. “The suspect conducted abortions on 500 patients during the past three months. This is very concerning,” Rudi said.
The raid was conducted based on a report filed by a Cilacap resident.
- Two foreign tourists die in motorcycle accident in Bali
- Man accused of charging illegal fees to former East Timor residents
- LPG explosion in Pizza Hut outlet destroys four buildings
- Victory in sight, Clinton still grapples with negative views
- Hong Kong to lure tourists with food festival
- Jokowi's achievements need closer scrutiny: Indef
- Govt urged to pay more attention to farmers' welfare
- EU supports development of Lake Toba tourism
- Two Malaysians arrested in Batam for suspected human trafficking
- Australian delegation to meet trade minister Monday for meat talks