Sacred buffaloes go on strike at Solo Palace
The Jakarta Post
The much awaited traditional Javanese New Year street celebrations, which coincided with the Islamic New Year, had to be delayed for more than an hour because the palace’s revered pet buffaloes briefly went on strike.
The kingdom of Solo, as Surakarta — one of the Javanese cultural bastions — is better known, has nine albino buffaloes affectionately called kebo bule (pale buffaloes)....
- Three dead, 20 injured in pileup in Puncak
- Italian woman saves money for 2 years to marry Indonesian villager
- Arrested Chinese ship flees Navy guard
- Interpol-listed fugitive arrested in Bali to be deported soon
- House urged to immediately pass election bill into law
- Vocational education key to competing globally: Minister
- Silicon Valley's $400 juicer may be feeling the squeeze
- Police shooting victims treated at Mimika Hospital
- Govt launches vocational education program for C. Java, Yogyakarta
- Remittances to developing countries fall in 2016, Indonesia worse