Sacred buffaloes go on strike at Solo Palace
The Jakarta Post
The much awaited traditional Javanese New Year street celebrations, which coincided with the Islamic New Year, had to be delayed for more than an hour because the palace’s revered pet buffaloes briefly went on strike.
The kingdom of Solo, as Surakarta — one of the Javanese cultural bastions — is better known, has nine albino buffaloes affectionately called kebo bule (pale buffaloes)....
- 8 Chinese New Year dishes and their meaning
- 35,000 MW program achievable by 2021: DEN
- Ahok in lead, followed by Anies, Agus after debate: Pollster
- Trump’s shadow over Freeport won’t bend Indonesia
- Singapore urged to speed up immigration checks for Indonesians
- FPI leader calls for withdrawal of banknotes with ‘communist symbol’
- Police step up investigation into graft case involving Sylviana Murni
- Fertilizer factory worth $1.5b to be developed in Papua
- Government should punish violent groups while also preserving democracy: Expert
- Police urged to be more critical in handling public reports