Aceng, ‘nikah siri’ and a weak Marriage Law
Unregistered marriages (nikah siri) in Indonesia are a familiar thing, despite the ensuing controversy. The most recent polemic surrounding the issue concerns Garut Regent Aceng Fikri, who has come under fire for marrying a 17-year-old girl, identified only as FO, in an unregistered Islamic marriage ceremony on July 14, only to divorce her via text message four days later.
The case has dra...
- Pertamina renewable investment portion to reach 15 percent by 2030
- Apple plans upgrades to popular AirPods headphones
- Google Assistant adds more languages in global push
- Construction of Central Jakarta Police headquarters to begin in April
- What to watch for in gadgets, deals from the biggest mobile show
- Death toll in Syria enclave tops 500 after UN delays truce vote
- Actor Stephen Fry reveals battle with prostate cancer
- Deputy governor Perry Warjiyo nominated to head Bank Indonesia
- Hopeful travelers line up overnight for flight promotions
- Bogor reduces more than 5 tons of waste a day