Traditional ‘pasar sekaten’ toys endure
Ganug Nugroho Adi
For sale: Wooden toy cars and tiger banks are typical of the offerings at the annual pasar sekaten.A fair — that is part of the festival commemorating the birth of the Prophet Muhammad known as pasar sekaten, or alternatively grebeg maulud or grebeg sekaten — is held annually by the Yogyakarta and Surakarta palaces.
This January, the northern square of the Surakarta Palace — where th...
- 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle': Star-studded cast, bigger action
- Official turns mute about flourishing prostitution in his area
- Nearly 50,000 flee amid fears of Mt. Agung eruption
- High alert: Mt. Agung eruption imminent
- Jokowi to visit Mt. Agung evacuees
- Yogyakarta Indonesian Association Amusement Parks and Recreation meets with GenPI Yogyakarta
- Nine airports prepared in anticipation of Mt. Agung eruption
- Mt. Agung's magma moves upward
- Mt. Agung eruption could be imminent: Agency
- Addressing challenges of VAT collection in digital economy