Traditional ‘pasar sekaten’ toys endure
Ganug Nugroho Adi
For sale: Wooden toy cars and tiger banks are typical of the offerings at the annual pasar sekaten.A fair — that is part of the festival commemorating the birth of the Prophet Muhammad known as pasar sekaten, or alternatively grebeg maulud or grebeg sekaten — is held annually by the Yogyakarta and Surakarta palaces.
This January, the northern square of the Surakarta Palace — where th...
- Tight security prepared for King Salman’s visit to Bali
- Four must-watch films about North Korea
- Whale shark dead after being caught up in trawl
- Lawmakers to learn about counterterrorism legislation in UK, US
- Jokowi, Turnbull start day with relaxed morning walk around Royal Botanical Gardens
- Six killed in Central Java bus plunge
- House prepares for King Salman's visit
- Indonesia, Australia want peaceful resolution in settling regional disputes
- Divers collect waste in waters around Pramuka Island
- Kim Jong Nam died within 20 minutes of poisoning: Malaysia