Traditional ‘pasar sekaten’ toys endure
Ganug Nugroho Adi
For sale: Wooden toy cars and tiger banks are typical of the offerings at the annual pasar sekaten.A fair — that is part of the festival commemorating the birth of the Prophet Muhammad known as pasar sekaten, or alternatively grebeg maulud or grebeg sekaten — is held annually by the Yogyakarta and Surakarta palaces.
This January, the northern square of the Surakarta Palace — where th...
- Wu's fans skip Chinese New Year for NBA All Star celebrity game
- Father-son duo arrested over alleged drug dealing
- China vows to protect interests as US eyes trade sanctions
- Italy's country doctor making house calls on horseback
- Indonesia mulls ban on maids to Malaysia
- Adelina’s family demands compensation
- East Java targets to vaccinate 10m following diphtheria outbreak
- Vatican revives pope's sexual abuse panel
- Pakistan child killer handed four death sentences
- PBB, PKPI ineligible for 2019 elections: KPU