Traditional ‘pasar sekaten’ toys endure
Ganug Nugroho Adi
For sale: Wooden toy cars and tiger banks are typical of the offerings at the annual pasar sekaten.A fair — that is part of the festival commemorating the birth of the Prophet Muhammad known as pasar sekaten, or alternatively grebeg maulud or grebeg sekaten — is held annually by the Yogyakarta and Surakarta palaces.
This January, the northern square of the Surakarta Palace — where th...
- Singapore's Mt. Agung travel advisory `excessive': BNPB
- Setya sends letter to House, asks not to remove him as speaker
- Shoppers go on buying binge at Matahari store in West Jakarta
- Several villages hit by volcanic ash after Mt. Agung erupts in Bali
- Court finds Czech 'femme fatale' guilty in spy scandal
- Jakarta to give Rp 1.6 trillion to mass organizations, religious institutions
- First exhibition for Indonesian comics history held in Brussels
- ‘Rurouni Kenshin’ creator arrested for possession of child pornography
- Karawang sets highest minimum wage in Indonesia
- Bandung man arrested for insulting Jokowi, Iriana on Facebook