Traditional ‘pasar sekaten’ toys endure
Ganug Nugroho Adi
For sale: Wooden toy cars and tiger banks are typical of the offerings at the annual pasar sekaten.A fair — that is part of the festival commemorating the birth of the Prophet Muhammad known as pasar sekaten, or alternatively grebeg maulud or grebeg sekaten — is held annually by the Yogyakarta and Surakarta palaces.
This January, the northern square of the Surakarta Palace — where th...
- Noose tightens around FPI leader
- Riau Islands Police beefed up to 12,000 to anticipate South China Sea tension
- Pinot competes with Beyonce in annual social media awards
- Asia’s most and least powerful passports
- Graft cases may affect Agus, Sylviana's electability: Pollster
- Indonesian Military to build naval base in Papua
- Qatar new target of Indonesia’s weapons export
- Anti graft body may detain ex-Garuda Indonesia CEO on Rolls Royce deals
- Three Indonesians kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf
- Police ban transgender cultural event in South Sulawesi