Traditional ‘pasar sekaten’ toys endure
Ganug Nugroho Adi
For sale: Wooden toy cars and tiger banks are typical of the offerings at the annual pasar sekaten.A fair — that is part of the festival commemorating the birth of the Prophet Muhammad known as pasar sekaten, or alternatively grebeg maulud or grebeg sekaten — is held annually by the Yogyakarta and Surakarta palaces.
This January, the northern square of the Surakarta Palace — where th...
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia's growing thirst for coffee drains premium bean supplies
- India offers free e-visa for Indonesians
- Pro IS cleric gets death for inspiring terror attacks in Indonesia
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students