Traditional ‘pasar sekaten’ toys endure
Ganug Nugroho Adi
For sale: Wooden toy cars and tiger banks are typical of the offerings at the annual pasar sekaten.A fair — that is part of the festival commemorating the birth of the Prophet Muhammad known as pasar sekaten, or alternatively grebeg maulud or grebeg sekaten — is held annually by the Yogyakarta and Surakarta palaces.
This January, the northern square of the Surakarta Palace — where th...
- China challenged Australian warships in South China Sea-Australian media
- Jokowi to complete 38 strategic projects before term ends
- 'Islamization' of women's movement in Indonesia
- Will Facebook Indonesia face criminal charges for data breach?
- Jakarta MRT to have women operators, maintenance officers
- Government raises demands to Facebook Indonesia
- Trash inundates space underneath toll road in North Jakarta
- Britain to ban sale of plastic straws in bid to fight waste
- Banjarnegara earthquake displaces more than 2,000
- How healthy is too healthy? EU warns about green tea supplements