Comments: Dreaming of hosting Miss Universe pageant
The Jakarta Post
Jan. 31, Online
Several international beauty pageants have been held in Asian countries like Vietnam, the Philippines and Thailand, the question is: When will it be Indonesia’s turn?
I think the problem is not Indonesia but the project of Miss Universe itself. Miss Universe contest is another form of colonization: the meaning of beauty according to American capitalist Donald Trump.
Beauty, a relatively local concept, has been hijacked by industrialist capitalists in the West and is becoming a global and universal concept.
I am against such projects not in the name of religion but from within the colonized people’s identity. I hope it will not be held in Indonesia.
- Grassroots war on rabies
- Good nutrition entails safe drinking water
- Award-winning comedy series ‘Silicon Valley’ returns for season 3
- Rationality, deficit in democracy
- Jokowi meets with German President, discusses death penalty
- Repair harm done to Jakarta Bay, fishermen demand
- Indonesia to learn vocational education from Germany: Minister
- 1965 victims: We don’t want communism, just reconciliation
- Cold rice balls, no flush toilets at quake-hit Japan shelter
- NU calls on govt. to reveal truth behind 1965 tragedy