Comments: Dreaming of hosting Miss Universe pageant
The Jakarta Post
Jan. 31, Online
Several international beauty pageants have been held in Asian countries like Vietnam, the Philippines and Thailand, the question is: When will it be Indonesia’s turn?
I think the problem is not Indonesia but the project of Miss Universe itself. Miss Universe contest is another form of colonization: the meaning of beauty according to American capitalist Donald Trump.
Beauty, a relatively local concept, has been hijacked by industrialist capitalists in the West and is becoming a global and universal concept.
I am against such projects not in the name of religion but from within the colonized people’s identity. I hope it will not be held in Indonesia.
- Papuan rebel leader reiterates call for referendum
- Govt to allow nickel ore, bauxite exports under new rules
- From sex to murder: Dark face of Indonesian cults
- World’s first dengue vaccine now available in Indonesia
- 1, 2, 3: The order is Agus, Ahok, Anies
- UN wildlife campaign goes live on RI social media
- Tax reform to follow last ever amnesty
- Jokowi lays wreath for Thailand's King Bhumibol
- Int’l students participate in IPB scientific seminar, symposium
- Better fiscal control saves Indonesia's economy