Weekly 5: For the undying love of bread, cakes
The Jakarta Post
Chinese businessman Tan Ek Tjoan established his namesake bakery in Bogor, West Java, in 1921. His son, Tan Kim Ham, established a second branch on Jl. Cikini Raya in Menteng to meet the increased demand for bread in the capital city. Kim Ham was the mastermind behind the shop’s signature gambang bread, the long brown loaf with a firm texture. Tan Ek Tjoan staff also distribute their wares around the city on vintage three-wheeled carts.
“I have been selling Tan Ek Tjoan bread for four years, taking the same route from Kebayoran Baru to Palmerah every day. I usually stop opposite the Senayan sports center, next to the Mulia Hotel,” Zaenal said.
Sales staff from the Liong bakery, which was built by Adi Sunarya in Tambora in 1979, usually gather along pedestrian lanes around Glodok, West Jakarta. Using yokes to carry two crates of bread, the vendors offer classic breads such as the Betawi roti gambang and white bread.
Roti Unyil Venus
Founded in 1992, Roti Unyil Venus has become one of the most popular snack sites for people visiting Bogor in West Java. Located on Jl. Pajajaran, the shop is usually packed with customers, especially on weekends. The petite, one-bite size of the bread on offer and the delicious toppings have won the hearts of many people. “Besides the main store, we also have 10 small outlets around Bogor,” Giok, an employee, told The Jakarta Post over the telephone.
A new cake can create culinary hype in the city and its surroundings, as was the case with the red velvet and rainbow cakes that recently became the talk of the town. Despite the growth of new bakeries in shopping malls, a number of vintage bakeries are still satisfying their loyal customers.
Here are a few of the more legendary bakeries that have retained their signature flavors and textur...
- OK Otrip opposed by minivan operators
- Sandiaga admits allowing ‘becak’ a political contract
- Men treated as dogs and pigs in Paris catwalk shows
- Woody Allen backlash grows as daughter says telling 'truth'
- Welcoming ASEAN's new secretary-general
- New Air Force chief to prioritize procurement of jet fighters
- Lazada to implement e-payment gateway system this year
- Jokowi inaugurates new Cabinet ministers
- PGN to acquire Pertagas in cash scheme
- Celine Dion's Jakarta concert ticket price reaches Rp 25m