KPUD bar incumbent from mayoral election
Syamsul Huda M. Suhari
The Jakarta Post
Just prior to the Gorontalo mayoral election, the Gorontalo City General Elections Commission (KPUD) barred incumbent Mayor Adhan Dhambe and Indrawanto Hassan from the race.
Gorontalo city KPUD Erman Rahim said on Wednesday that the No. 3 pair was taken out of the race following a ruling by the State Administrative Court (PTUN) in Manado, North Sulawesi, on Monday, which disqualified the pair from the race.
“The KPUD accepts the PTUN’s ruling and will carry it out,” Erman said in a press conference.
Previously, two pairs of candidates, Marthen Thaha-Budi Doku and Feriyanto Mayulu-Abubakar Bachmid filed a lawsuit with PTUN Manado.
Both pairs said Adhan and Indrawanto should not be allowed to run because Adnan does not have a valid elementary school certificate.
Erman said voting for the mayoral election would still be carried out on Thursday and those objecting the decision should take legal action.
Meanwhile, hundreds of Adhan supporters gathered in front of the Gorontalo Mayor official residence, waiting for Adnan to convey his stance on the decision.
The situation was heated as the crowd attacked a bentor (three-wheeled motorcycle taxi) driver who was recording the scene with his cell phone.
Adhan’s supporters stormed the local station of state-run TVRI Monday evening after news on PTUN Manado’s ruling broke. The crowd also physically attacked four journalists covering the attack as well as several TVRI employees.
Adhan said he would file an appeal on PTUN Manado’s ruling and would file a report against the KPUD for disqualifying him and his running mate from the mayoral poll.
He also asked his supporters to keep voting for him and his running mate by punching No. 3.
Accusing Gorontalo Governor Rusli Habibie as the mastermind, Adhan called on his supporters not to vote for Rusli in the next gubernatorial election or the Golkar Party in the 2014 legislative election.
Rusli is chairman of the Gorontalo chapter of the Golkar Party.
Meanwhile, Gorontalo Police chief Brig. Gen. Budi Waseso has issued a shoot-on-sight order against rioters during the mayoral election.
- Jokowi treason arrests questioned
- Papua to see air navigation system upgrades to prevent more crashes
- N. Jakarta district court chief to lead Ahok's blasphemy trial
- Ahok blasphemy trial to start Thursday
- Taeyeon and Wiz Khalifa tussle over MAMA performance
- Slow economic growth predicted in 2017: Economists
- Car Free Day initiator wants ‘Kita Indonesia’ organizer to apologize
- Pilot of crashed plane promised to go home to East Nusa Tenggara for Christmas
- KPK signs agreement with police, AGO to ease monitoring of graft cases
- Indonesia investment board upbeat about 2017, tourism potential