MRT grinds to a start
Sita W. Dewi
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo officially launched the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) at the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle in Central Jakarta on Thursday. The first phase will connect Lebak Bulus in South Jakarta to the traffic circle.
'After planning and waiting for 24 years, this evening that the MRT project officially begins,' Jokowi said.
Dono Boestami, president director of the project operator city-owned PT MRT Jakarta, who was also on site, unveiled two consortia of comprised Japanese and Indonesian companies that won tenders for the first three underground constructions.
'A consortium of Shimizu-Obayashi-Wijaya Karya-Jaya Konstruksi will carry out two underground construction while another, Sumitomo Mitsui Construction Company (SMCC)-Hutama Karya will handle the other,' Dono said. The three underground packages are scheduled for completion in 2017 at a cost of Rp 3.6 trillion.
Tenders for five other construction packages are underway. (nai/dic)
You might also like :
- Indonesian man found dead in belly of 7m-long python
- Snake eats human in Sulawesi, under pressure of deforestation: Expert
- Indonesia, France talk about palm oil and aircraft industry
- West Nusa Tenggara governor named special envoy for breastfeeding
- Fears for Indonesian park's rare species as Trump town rises
- Thai jungle seen as breeding ground for Indochinese tigers
- West Kalimantan authorities uncover new drug smuggling technique
- EDITORIAL: Separating faith and state
- Police call on protesters to stay away from election-related political issues
- Parking attendants, city officers arrested for allegedly collecting illegal levies