MRT grinds to a start
Sita W. Dewi
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo officially launched the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) at the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle in Central Jakarta on Thursday. The first phase will connect Lebak Bulus in South Jakarta to the traffic circle.
'After planning and waiting for 24 years, this evening that the MRT project officially begins,' Jokowi said.
Dono Boestami, president director of the project operator city-owned PT MRT Jakarta, who was also on site, unveiled two consortia of comprised Japanese and Indonesian companies that won tenders for the first three underground constructions.
'A consortium of Shimizu-Obayashi-Wijaya Karya-Jaya Konstruksi will carry out two underground construction while another, Sumitomo Mitsui Construction Company (SMCC)-Hutama Karya will handle the other,' Dono said. The three underground packages are scheduled for completion in 2017 at a cost of Rp 3.6 trillion.
Tenders for five other construction packages are underway. (nai/dic)
- Agus promises Chinese-Indonesians he will uphold unity in Jakarta
- Police plane crashes in Riau Islands waters, 13 feared dead
- Indonesia sees more local Warren Buffett-style investors
- Rally ends on cautious note
- Susi receives honorary degree from Undip
- Treason suspects intended to mobilize mass to occupy House: Police
- Anti-Jokowi figures charged with treason
- Jokowi changes tune in handling rally
- Musician Ahmad Dhani released, remains suspect
- Police show strong response despite rally running peacefully