MRT grinds to a start
Sita W. Dewi
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo officially launched the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) at the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle in Central Jakarta on Thursday. The first phase will connect Lebak Bulus in South Jakarta to the traffic circle.
'After planning and waiting for 24 years, this evening that the MRT project officially begins,' Jokowi said.
Dono Boestami, president director of the project operator city-owned PT MRT Jakarta, who was also on site, unveiled two consortia of comprised Japanese and Indonesian companies that won tenders for the first three underground constructions.
'A consortium of Shimizu-Obayashi-Wijaya Karya-Jaya Konstruksi will carry out two underground construction while another, Sumitomo Mitsui Construction Company (SMCC)-Hutama Karya will handle the other,' Dono said. The three underground packages are scheduled for completion in 2017 at a cost of Rp 3.6 trillion.
Tenders for five other construction packages are underway. (nai/dic)
You might also like :
- Trash inundates space underneath toll road in North Jakarta
- How healthy is too healthy? EU warns about green tea supplements
- Iran, Iraq, Syria, Russia hold 'anti-terrorism' meet
- Will Facebook Indonesia face criminal charges for data breach?
- Jakarta MRT to have women operators, maintenance officers
- Banjarnegara earthquake displaces more than 2,000
- Government raises demands to Facebook Indonesia
- Two entertainment venues shut down over drugs
- Britain to ban sale of plastic straws in bid to fight waste
- Smartphone app promises speech therapy at your fingertips