MRT grinds to a start
Sita W. Dewi
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo officially launched the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) at the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle in Central Jakarta on Thursday. The first phase will connect Lebak Bulus in South Jakarta to the traffic circle.
'After planning and waiting for 24 years, this evening that the MRT project officially begins,' Jokowi said.
Dono Boestami, president director of the project operator city-owned PT MRT Jakarta, who was also on site, unveiled two consortia of comprised Japanese and Indonesian companies that won tenders for the first three underground constructions.
'A consortium of Shimizu-Obayashi-Wijaya Karya-Jaya Konstruksi will carry out two underground construction while another, Sumitomo Mitsui Construction Company (SMCC)-Hutama Karya will handle the other,' Dono said. The three underground packages are scheduled for completion in 2017 at a cost of Rp 3.6 trillion.
Tenders for five other construction packages are underway. (nai/dic)
You might also like :
- Jokowi promotes Pancasila amid rising sectarianism
- Trailer released for ‘Harry Potter’ prequel about Voldemort
- Rizieq Shihab named suspect in pornography case while abroad
- Police arrest suspected terrorist in Central Java
- Skytrain to start operations next month at Soekarno-Hatta Airport
- VP’s daughter reports Ahok supporter for alleged defamation against Kalla
- Police warns against online witch hunts
- Kaesang criticizes viral video of children chanting 'hate speech', calls for tolerance
- ‘Jokowi Undercover’ author sentenced to three years in prison
- Indonesia projected to become net LNG importer by 2022