BNN destroys 35 hectares of marijuana fields in Aceh
The Jakarta Post
National Narcotics Agency (BNN) officials, in cooperation with the Nangroe Aceh Darussalam Police, destroyed 35 hectares of marijuana fields in Pulo Kemukiman Lamtebua village, Seulimeum district, Aceh Besar regency, on Monday, as part of their effort to reduce the amount of cannabis grown in the province and its surrounding areas.
BNN spokesperson Yessi Weningati said that the crushing of cannabis farms in Aceh was led by BNN chief Comr.Gen. Anang Iskandar.
'The crushing of 35 hectares of cannabis fields is the first of such kind carried out this year. They were located in Pulo Kemukiman Lamteuba, Seulimeum district, Aceh Besar. It took around two-and-a-half hours to travel by car from Banda Aceh city to the sites,' she said in a statement made available to The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
In the operation, dozens of officers from the province's police and BNN yanked out cannabis plants grown in the fields and set fire to them.
The operation commenced when the agency received information detailing hectares of cannabis fields in Pulo Kemukiman Lamtebua village around one month ago, prompting a preliminary investigation jointly conducted with the local police that began on May 3.(ebf)
- Jokowi treason arrests questioned
- Papua to see air navigation system upgrades to prevent more crashes
- N. Jakarta district court chief to lead Ahok's blasphemy trial
- Taeyeon and Wiz Khalifa tussle over MAMA performance
- Slow economic growth predicted in 2017: Economists
- Ahok blasphemy trial to start Thursday
- Car Free Day initiator wants ‘Kita Indonesia’ organizer to apologize
- KPK signs agreement with police, AGO to ease monitoring of graft cases
- Pilot of crashed plane promised to go home to East Nusa Tenggara for Christmas
- Indonesia investment board upbeat about 2017, tourism potential