Casablanca overpass to be ready by September
Sita W. Dewi
The Jakarta Post
Deputy Governor Basuki 'Ahok' Tjahaja Purnama confirmed on Wednesday that construction of the elevated road connecting Kampung Melayu, East Jakarta, to Tanah Abang, Central Jakarta, would resume despite an incomplete audit.
The Rp 900 billion (US$92.65 million) project has been halted since March pending an evaluation by the city administration and an audit by the Development Finance Comptroller (BPKP) and Supreme Audit Agency (BPK).
'The contractor is currently waiting for heavy equipment from Taiwan. The delivery might take a month,' Ahok told reporters at City Hall.
The city administration suspended the project for evaluation because it was behind schedule. It had been scheduled to be finished by June 29.
Ahok said that the contractor needed the equipment to support its work in the Jl. KH Mas Mansyur area, which often sees traffic gridlock during busy hours.
'They need the particular heavy equipment to support construction work in such a busy area,' he said, adding that 'It might take two months until the remaining work is completed.'
The 3.5-kilometer road project has been divided into three sections, comprising Jl. Prof. Dr. Satrio, Jl. Casablanca and Jl. KH. Mas Mansyur. The project is 90 percent complete. Project contractor state-owned PT Istaka Karya confirmed that the company would resume the construction once the heavy equipment arrives.
'We are going to resume the construction of the remaining 10 percent once the equipment arrives. We ordered the equipment from Taiwan a week ago and will probably arrive within a month. We need this particular equipment because Jl. KH Mas Mansyur is a narrow road,' project manager Firmansyah Ibnu said.
Firmansyah said that due to the characteristics of the road, the company would only work at night.
Istaka Karya expects to complete the project within two months and to put the finishing touches in September. 'We want to continue the construction while waiting for the audit by the BPK. We expect to complete the project immediately,' he said.
Istana Karya is one of several construction companies that won tenders to construct the elevated road, which was initiated by then Jakarta governor Fauzi Bowo in 2010.
The city administration allocated Rp 64 billion from the 2013 budget to complete the section of the elevated road above Jl. Mas Mansyur.
You might also like :
- Three airlines to move to Terminal 3 in May
- Government praises Mitsubishi for exporting 21,000 Xpander vehicles
- Passport stamps becoming a thing of the past
- Candidates for Pertamina's top post submitted to Jokowi: SOE official
- Illegal oil exploration activities in Aceh must stop: WALHI
- Most boats in Thousand Islands unsafe: Committee
- High-rise buildings must provide access for fiber optics
- Indian court jails popular guru for life over teen rape
- Meghan Markle ties the knot -- but not with Prince Harry
- Vice President Kalla promises shelter for Rohingya refugees in Aceh