SBY visits earthquake location in Aceh
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is visiting the site of the recent earthquake in Central Aceh regency, Aceh.
The President departed from Halim Perdanakusuma airport in Jakarta at around 6 a.m. local time, on Tuesday morning, and arrived at Malikussaleh airport in Aceh at 9:20 a.m. local time.
As soon as they arrived in Aceh, President Yudhoyono and his entourage headed to Rejewali village in Ketol district, Central Aceh regency.
During a plenary cabinet meeting that discussed the disaster mitigation, President Yudhoyono conveyed his wish to visit the disaster site in Aceh.
'I concluded that post-emergency responses have to continue to be carried out. The sooner the reconstruction process takes place, the better,' said the President.
Yudhoyono said that he had routinely communicated with and received reports from working units deployed in Aceh.
At the weekend, the presidential special staff posted information on Yudhoyono's plan to visit the earthquake site in Aceh via the President's Twitter account, @SBYudhoyono.
'President SBY receives reports on earthquakes in Aceh. On July 9, 2013, he will visit the earthquake center in Bener Meriah regency, Aceh,' it said.
Yudhoyono is scheduled to talk with earthquake victims and visit the area most affected by the disaster in Ketol district, Central Aceh regency.
The commander of Central Aceh and Bener Meriah integrated disaster-mitigation post in Redelong, Col.Inf.Hipdizah, said that after arriving at Malikussaleh airport in Lhokseumawe, the President would continue his trip to Bener Meriah via helicopter.
Almost 90 percent of homes in Ketol district were seriously damaged when a 6.2 magnitude earthquake hit on July 2. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Three airlines to move to Terminal 3 in May
- Passport stamps becoming a thing of the past
- Most boats in Thousand Islands unsafe: Committee
- Candidates for Pertamina's top post submitted to Jokowi: SOE official
- Government to take legal action against drillers of illegal oil well after fire
- Illegal oil exploration activities in Aceh must stop: WALHI
- High-rise buildings must provide access for fiber optics
- Music-streaming millennials eye smart speakers
- Meghan Markle ties the knot -- but not with Prince Harry
- Indian court jails popular guru for life over teen rape