Tya Arifin: Honing musical skill
Andreas D. Arditya
The Jakarta Post
Young actress Tya Arifin has only been in the business for a few years but she is already planning to expand career into singing. The 18-year-old has a busy year with one film already hitting the screen and two others to follow later in the year. Her latest film Tak Sempurna (Imperfect) features many well known Indonesian hip hop artists.
'In Tak Sempurna I worked with a lot of rappers and singers, including rap legend Iwa K.
Working with hip hop artists was a lot of fun. During breaks, they would play hip hop music and I had an amazing chance to learn how to dance and how to rap.
One of the once move I really love was dougie ' performed by moving one's body in a shimmy style and freestyle hand movement, which each individual performs in their own style.
We have this one scene where they all sing, rap and dance, and I have the opportunity to display my new skill.
There's also a scene where I beatbox ' a vocal style of producing drum beats, rhythm and musical sounds using your mouth, lips, tongue and voice. I've been beatboxing since senior high school.
When director Herman Kumala Panca found out I could beatbox, he ordered an additional scene to include it.
When I am not promoting my films, I spend my time at home.
I was born and raised in Palembang. I have been living in Jakarta for three years now, but I am still getting use to it.
The city's great, it's the center of everything in Indonesia and it has everything. However, it is so crowded. I have to spend hours on the road to get from one place to another. It's tiring, so I prefer to stay at home.
I like to listen to music and practice music. I am preparing for a career in music. I have recorded a single 'Bawalah Aku' (Take Me), which was written by singer-songwriter Anang Hermansyah and will be released in August.
I am also now a student at Indonesia Music Institute (IMI), taking a major in vocal and a minor in piano. I want to be able to sing and play the piano on stage.'
You might also like :
- Taipei guide: Four places where fireflies light up the night sky
- Six Singaporean military personnel deported after Batam raid
- Bali declared world's top destination for 2017
- Duterte says he can be 50 times more brutal than terrorists
- Norwegian man caught stealing iPhone at Garuda lounge
- Nearing 100-day mark, Trump says milestone not 'meaningful'
- Kanye West, adidas announce launch of newest Yeezy sneakers
- The sad saga of North Korea's ATMs
- Anies refuses to talk about programs until official election result
- French stocks soar to near-decade highs as Macron tops poll