Malaysian arrested for desecrating RI flag
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
A Malaysian national, Broderik Chin, could spend up to five years in prison for making a joke about Indonesia's flag.
National Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Agus Rianto said that Chin, the general manager of palm oil company PT Kreasi Jaya, which is a subsidiary of Malaysia's Kuala Lumpur Kepong Berhad (KLK), allegedly said that the flag "could be replaced with his red underwear" on Aug. 16, one day before the country's Independence Day.
He made the joke after one of his employees failed to find a flag to be hoisted for the Independence Day commemoration.
"Maybe he was joking or he was angry with his employee. The following day, locals staged a rally outside the factory. He has since apologized," Agus said.
Following the protest, the Dumai Police detained Chin on Aug. 21.
"He will be charged under Article 66 of the 2009 law on the national flag, language, symbols and anthem," Agus continued.
According to the law, Chin faces up to five years in jail or a fine of a Rp 500 million [US$46,000].
You might also like :
- Indonesian magician The Sacred Riana is crowned winner of Asia's Got Talent Season 2
- In first, SpaceX launches recycled rocket and spaceship
- Yogyakarta airport developers warned not to ‘steal’ people’s land
- 2 killed, 7 injured in Java quake: Agency
- Foundation documents culinary heritage via smartphone app
- Police arrest doctor for alleged hate speech against TNI chief
- Jakarta transportation operators to rejuvenate fleets
- H&M says to close more stores as customers go online
- Oil and gas lifting to fall slightly short of target
- Saudi women will also be allowed to drive motorcycles