Protesters take to streets in Medan against Miss World
The Jakarta Post
As many as 1,500 supporters of Muslimat Hizbut Tahrir Indonesia (MHTI) descended on the streets of Medan on Thursday in protest against the 63rd Miss World pageant, set to take place in Nusa Dua, Bali and Sentul, West Java later this month.
Indonesia will be the first country in Southeast Asia to host the beauty contest.
The demonstration began at 10 a.m. local time, starting at Merdeka Square and then on to the North Sumatra Legislative Council (DPRD) office in Jl.Imam Bonjol before culminating at the North Sumatra governor's office in Jl.P.Diponegoro.
'At the North Sumatra governor's office, we sent a delegation to convey our opposition to the organization of the 2013 Miss World and other similar contests and urged the government to immediately implement Islamic law because only under Islamic values are women honored deeply,' said MHTI spokesperson Honriani Nasution on Thursday. (apt/ebf)
You might also like :
- Indonesian man found dead in belly of 7m-long python
- Snake eats human in Sulawesi, under pressure of deforestation: Expert
- Indonesia, France talk about palm oil and aircraft industry
- West Nusa Tenggara governor named special envoy for breastfeeding
- Fears for Indonesian park's rare species as Trump town rises
- Thai jungle seen as breeding ground for Indochinese tigers
- West Kalimantan authorities uncover new drug smuggling technique
- EDITORIAL: Separating faith and state
- Police call on protesters to stay away from election-related political issues
- Parking attendants, city officers arrested for allegedly collecting illegal levies