Protesters take to streets in Medan against Miss World
The Jakarta Post
As many as 1,500 supporters of Muslimat Hizbut Tahrir Indonesia (MHTI) descended on the streets of Medan on Thursday in protest against the 63rd Miss World pageant, set to take place in Nusa Dua, Bali and Sentul, West Java later this month.
Indonesia will be the first country in Southeast Asia to host the beauty contest.
The demonstration began at 10 a.m. local time, starting at Merdeka Square and then on to the North Sumatra Legislative Council (DPRD) office in Jl.Imam Bonjol before culminating at the North Sumatra governor's office in Jl.P.Diponegoro.
'At the North Sumatra governor's office, we sent a delegation to convey our opposition to the organization of the 2013 Miss World and other similar contests and urged the government to immediately implement Islamic law because only under Islamic values are women honored deeply,' said MHTI spokesperson Honriani Nasution on Thursday. (apt/ebf)
- Islamic religious texts must be read in context to understand blasphemy
- Protesters put pressure on Metro TV, Kompas TV over ‘biased reporting’
- 8 arrested on treason charges ahead of rally
- LIVE REPORT: Anti-Ahok rally
- Thousands of worshipers flock to Monas for anti-Ahok gathering
- Hard for Ahok to bounce back: Expert
- N. Sumatra governor fires official after intimidation from angry anti-Ahok crowd
- Singer Ahmad Dhani, activists declared treason suspects
- Police satisfied with peaceful anti-Ahok rally
- C.Java protesters demand Ahok’s immediate incarceration