Protesters take to streets in Medan against Miss World
The Jakarta Post
As many as 1,500 supporters of Muslimat Hizbut Tahrir Indonesia (MHTI) descended on the streets of Medan on Thursday in protest against the 63rd Miss World pageant, set to take place in Nusa Dua, Bali and Sentul, West Java later this month.
Indonesia will be the first country in Southeast Asia to host the beauty contest.
The demonstration began at 10 a.m. local time, starting at Merdeka Square and then on to the North Sumatra Legislative Council (DPRD) office in Jl.Imam Bonjol before culminating at the North Sumatra governor's office in Jl.P.Diponegoro.
'At the North Sumatra governor's office, we sent a delegation to convey our opposition to the organization of the 2013 Miss World and other similar contests and urged the government to immediately implement Islamic law because only under Islamic values are women honored deeply,' said MHTI spokesperson Honriani Nasution on Thursday. (apt/ebf)
You might also like :
- Three airlines to move to Terminal 3 in May
- Passport stamps becoming a thing of the past
- Candidates for Pertamina's top post submitted to Jokowi: SOE official
- Most boats in Thousand Islands unsafe: Committee
- Illegal oil exploration activities in Aceh must stop: WALHI
- High-rise buildings must provide access for fiber optics
- Government to take legal action against drillers of illegal oil well after fire
- Meghan Markle ties the knot -- but not with Prince Harry
- Indian court jails popular guru for life over teen rape
- Music-streaming millennials eye smart speakers