Protesters take to streets in Medan against Miss World
The Jakarta Post
As many as 1,500 supporters of Muslimat Hizbut Tahrir Indonesia (MHTI) descended on the streets of Medan on Thursday in protest against the 63rd Miss World pageant, set to take place in Nusa Dua, Bali and Sentul, West Java later this month.
Indonesia will be the first country in Southeast Asia to host the beauty contest.
The demonstration began at 10 a.m. local time, starting at Merdeka Square and then on to the North Sumatra Legislative Council (DPRD) office in Jl.Imam Bonjol before culminating at the North Sumatra governor's office in Jl.P.Diponegoro.
'At the North Sumatra governor's office, we sent a delegation to convey our opposition to the organization of the 2013 Miss World and other similar contests and urged the government to immediately implement Islamic law because only under Islamic values are women honored deeply,' said MHTI spokesperson Honriani Nasution on Thursday. (apt/ebf)
You might also like :
- Jokowi orders police to gun down foreign drug traffickers
- Justin Bieber's Indonesia concert rumors heat up following media reports
- Bumi subsidiary to gain big from NFC deal: Analyst
- Indonesia condemns Israeli crackdown on holy mosque
- Pertamina pledges firm actions against ‘recalcitrant’ LPG distributors
- Private investors called on to help supply electricity to villages
- Dali's trademark moustache intact at '10 past 10'
- Waste bank gives Cengkareng residents extra income
- High-tech mystery: Is a Facebook phone in the works?
- Bieber not welcome thanks to 'bad behavior': Beijing authorities