Protesters take to streets in Medan against Miss World
The Jakarta Post
As many as 1,500 supporters of Muslimat Hizbut Tahrir Indonesia (MHTI) descended on the streets of Medan on Thursday in protest against the 63rd Miss World pageant, set to take place in Nusa Dua, Bali and Sentul, West Java later this month.
Indonesia will be the first country in Southeast Asia to host the beauty contest.
The demonstration began at 10 a.m. local time, starting at Merdeka Square and then on to the North Sumatra Legislative Council (DPRD) office in Jl.Imam Bonjol before culminating at the North Sumatra governor's office in Jl.P.Diponegoro.
'At the North Sumatra governor's office, we sent a delegation to convey our opposition to the organization of the 2013 Miss World and other similar contests and urged the government to immediately implement Islamic law because only under Islamic values are women honored deeply,' said MHTI spokesperson Honriani Nasution on Thursday. (apt/ebf)
You might also like :
- Indonesia extends export recommendation for Freeport
- Jakarta prepares traffic strategy for Asian Games
- Mt. Sinabung spews massive smoke-and-ash column
- Jakarta-Bandung railway project won’t meet target: Minister
- Anti-LGBT team established in Depok
- Visitors flock to Kopi Johny to talk to Hotman Paris Hutapea about legal matters
- Tearful French skater's 'worst nightmare' after dress mishap
- IS ambush kills 27 pro-government fighters in Iraq
- Supreme Court receives Ahok’s case review petition
- Myanmar seizes drugs and equipment worth $7 m in lab raid