SBY given sword as souvenir by former GAM commander
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono received a surprise gift during his recent official visit to Aceh. The President, through his twitter account, revealed that just before he flew back to Jakarta,
he was given a sword by a former commander in the Free Aceh Movement (GAM).
'Before I flew back to Jakarta, I was intercepted by one of GAM's commanders who then handed over a sword as a souvenir to me,' Yudhoyono said on Friday night.
The former commander, Irfan, 47, handed over the sword with an engraved message in Acehnese reading 'We are all one heart and one word. We are all brothers and sisters in the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia.'
Irfan was the commander of GAM in Sangoe Gajah Keng in Aceh.
Yudhoyono said that the sword was actually a legacy from one of Irfan's ancestors, a freedom fighter against Dutch colonial rule.
The President visited Aceh for two days, during which he also received an honorary doctorate from Syiah Kuala State University as well as opening the Aceh Cultural Week in Taman Ratu Safiatuddin. (hrl/dic)
You might also like :
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash