SBY given sword as souvenir by former GAM commander
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono received a surprise gift during his recent official visit to Aceh. The President, through his twitter account, revealed that just before he flew back to Jakarta,
he was given a sword by a former commander in the Free Aceh Movement (GAM).
'Before I flew back to Jakarta, I was intercepted by one of GAM's commanders who then handed over a sword as a souvenir to me,' Yudhoyono said on Friday night.
The former commander, Irfan, 47, handed over the sword with an engraved message in Acehnese reading 'We are all one heart and one word. We are all brothers and sisters in the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia.'
Irfan was the commander of GAM in Sangoe Gajah Keng in Aceh.
Yudhoyono said that the sword was actually a legacy from one of Irfan's ancestors, a freedom fighter against Dutch colonial rule.
The President visited Aceh for two days, during which he also received an honorary doctorate from Syiah Kuala State University as well as opening the Aceh Cultural Week in Taman Ratu Safiatuddin. (hrl/dic)
- Chinese star Andy Lau fractures spine from horse riding accident
- Indonesian cable TV, property tycoon in DC to attend Trump's inauguration
- Activists apply for judicial review of relaxation of mineral export ban
- Zoo defends conditions following video of sun bears begging for food
- Small farmers not to blame for peat fires: Walhi
- Agus to prioritize dialogue in handling intolerant groups
- Harry Potter-themed café opens in Singapore
- Apple to raise UK app prices to counter weak pound
- Police investigate possible insult to state symbol during FPI rally
- First-borns tend to be less healthy, study suggests