SBY given sword as souvenir by former GAM commander
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono received a surprise gift during his recent official visit to Aceh. The President, through his twitter account, revealed that just before he flew back to Jakarta,
he was given a sword by a former commander in the Free Aceh Movement (GAM).
'Before I flew back to Jakarta, I was intercepted by one of GAM's commanders who then handed over a sword as a souvenir to me,' Yudhoyono said on Friday night.
The former commander, Irfan, 47, handed over the sword with an engraved message in Acehnese reading 'We are all one heart and one word. We are all brothers and sisters in the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia.'
Irfan was the commander of GAM in Sangoe Gajah Keng in Aceh.
Yudhoyono said that the sword was actually a legacy from one of Irfan's ancestors, a freedom fighter against Dutch colonial rule.
The President visited Aceh for two days, during which he also received an honorary doctorate from Syiah Kuala State University as well as opening the Aceh Cultural Week in Taman Ratu Safiatuddin. (hrl/dic)
You might also like :
- Minibus driver used Facebook before deadly crash: reports
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- Fuel consumption in Papua drops ahead of Idul Fitri
- Unattended suitcase causes security alert in Batam
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- FamilyMart to allow Airbnb users to pick up keys at its stores
- Commentary: Soeharto's most likely successor? How about Prabowo?
- 'Solo' director says new 'Star Wars' film puts character first
- Women paid more than men for same job in Indonesia: Global survey
- Florida cities are most at risk from climate change: Report