Jokowi 'doesn't deserve' SBY comparison
Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
The leader of the Democratic Party (PD) faction at the House of Representatives, Nurhayati Ali Assegaf, blasted those comparing President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's stance on religious freedom to that of Jakarta Governor Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo's.
Nurhayati said it was unfair to compare a new governor like Jokowi to the President, especially as the latter was politically committed to upholding religious freedom in Indonesia.
"Pak Jokowi doesn't deserve the comparison. He is only a governor. It's all political. I don't know why people even do that because Pak SBY has proven his commitment on religious freedom," Nurhayati told reporters on Monday, referring to Yudhoyono with the latter's initials.
Nurhayati was responding to critics, including Rev. Palti Panjaitan from the beleaguered HKBP Filadelfia church, who called on Yudhoyono to follow Jokowi and defend Lenteng Agung subdistrict head Susan Jasmine Zulkifli regardless of the religiously-driven opposition she faced.
Nurhayati, who claimed to have spent years living abroad, said Indonesia was among the most tolerant countries in the world.
"There are cases of course, but they don't reflect the government's stance on the matter. We must also understand that we cannot blame all problems on Pak SBY. All officials must work together," she emphasized.
You might also like :
- Sandiaga admits allowing ‘becak’ a political contract
- OK Otrip opposed by minivan operators
- Men treated as dogs and pigs in Paris catwalk shows
- Woody Allen backlash grows as daughter says telling 'truth'
- New Air Force chief to prioritize procurement of jet fighters
- Lazada to implement e-payment gateway system this year
- Jokowi inaugurates new Cabinet ministers
- Celine Dion's Jakarta concert ticket price reaches Rp 25m
- PGN to acquire Pertagas in cash scheme
- Don't blame me if Trump not invited to royal wedding: May