The total royal wedding package
The Jakarta Post
The grand wedding at the Yogyakarta palace between the fourth daughter of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X, Gusti Kanjeng Ratu Hayu, and Kanjeng Pangeran Haryo Notonegoro, at the end of October seemed to establish the city of Yogyakarta as one of the cultural pillars of the Indonesian archipelago.
For three consecutive days, the bride and groom were required to follow a series of different wedding rituals.
'The lengthy wedding tradition is indeed steeped in symbols portraying how the couple will enter the bonds of marriage. And this is one of our traditional assets that is no less appealing than those in foreign countries,' said Gusti Pembayun, who directed the royal wedding festivities.
The citizens of Yogyakarta and its environs turned out to show their pride in the traditional, regal event. Tens of thousands of people crowded the streets to welcome the arrival of the young couple and the Sultan, who passed along Malioboro Avenue before joining the wedding procession.
' Photos By JP/Tarko Sudiarno
You might also like :
- Visiting Pyongyang, Jakarta's North Korean restaurant
- When two food trends collide: Martabak Samyang
- Jokowi warns Freeport
- Danger of terrorist recidivism in prisons
- Jokowi and Turnbull to focus on economic, strategic links
- FPI leader to testify against Ahok next week
- Police beef up security in Intan Jaya
- Indorama invests US$25 million in rubber glove industry
- Grand launch of Kertajati Airport set for mid next year
- Banten administration questions slow progress of Serang-Panimbang toll road