The total royal wedding package
The Jakarta Post
The grand wedding at the Yogyakarta palace between the fourth daughter of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X, Gusti Kanjeng Ratu Hayu, and Kanjeng Pangeran Haryo Notonegoro, at the end of October seemed to establish the city of Yogyakarta as one of the cultural pillars of the Indonesian archipelago.
For three consecutive days, the bride and groom were required to follow a series of different wedding rituals.
'The lengthy wedding tradition is indeed steeped in symbols portraying how the couple will enter the bonds of marriage. And this is one of our traditional assets that is no less appealing than those in foreign countries,' said Gusti Pembayun, who directed the royal wedding festivities.
The citizens of Yogyakarta and its environs turned out to show their pride in the traditional, regal event. Tens of thousands of people crowded the streets to welcome the arrival of the young couple and the Sultan, who passed along Malioboro Avenue before joining the wedding procession.
' Photos By JP/Tarko Sudiarno
You might also like :
- Jokowi praises Jakarta for Semanggi interchange
- Three former presidents join Jokowi to celebrate Independence Day
- Ahok, other prisoners barred from Independence Day event
- UGM tops RI university ranking
- Eleven teens suspected in prostitution ring
- SEA Games: Indonesia beats Philippines 3-0
- Jokowi inaugurates new Semanggi overpass on Independence Day
- China gets tough on long, odd company names
- KPK gets new information on flow of funds in e-ID graft
- At least 13 dead and 50 injured in Barcelona van attack