Video diary of disabled persons launched
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The International Labor Organization (ILO), with the cooperation of Yayasan Kampung Halaman (YKH), is holding a campaign entitled 'SAMA: Space, Opportunity and Treatment for Disabled Persons'.
The campaign will use a participatory video in the form of a video diary on the access of disabled persons to employment and public facilities.
Manpower and Transmigration Minister Muhaimin Iskandar, together with Social Affairs Minister Salim Segaf Al Jufri and ILO deputy director Michiko Miyamoto, will officially launch the video diary on Thursday.
The participatory videos, produced by disabled persons in Jakarta, feature two important rights of people with disabilities: the rights to employment and proper public facilities.
The words and pictures for the videos, which record daily activities, the struggles, life journey and hopes of disabled persons in Indonesia, were chosen by the people themselves. The participatory video consists of two videos totaling 30 minutes in duration.
'ILO believes that the participatory video will increase awareness on disability in which people, particularly decision makers, will put it as a priority,' Miyamoto said on Tuesday.
'ILO also believes that such awareness will be helpful in fighting stigma and discrimination towards disabled persons and in protecting their rights to employment and proper public facilities to ensure their equal and full participation in all forms of society activities,' she went on.
The making of the participatory video involved 19 people with vision, hearing and physical disabilities.
'It is hoped that the video can help eliminate all forms of barriers, including in attitude, physical, economic and cultural aspects, that disabled persons face and help people learn how to understand disabled persons' voices and ways of thinking on employment and in their overall lives,' said YKH chairwoman Dian Herdiany. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says