Sinabung eruptions cause Rp 712.2b in crop losses
The Jakarta Post
The Karo Agriculture and Plantation Agency has reported that as of Jan.6, the regency had suffered Rp 712.2 billion (US$59.1 million) in crop losses since Mount Sinabung first erupted in September last year.
The agency's head, Agustoni Tarigan, said the losses were caused by harvest failures as volcanic ash had blanketed and damaged vast tracts of agricultural land in the area.
According to official data, 12,040.7 hectares of agricultural land had become arid due to the eruptions. They comprise 1,837 hectares of food crops, 5,716 hectares of horticulture crops, 1,630 hectares of fruit crops, 1.7 hectares of biopharmaceutical crop and 2,856 hectares of plantations.
Agustoni said all of the agriculture and plantation areas with failed harvests were located in four districts: Naman Teran, Payung, Simpang Empat and Tigandreket.
'More districts may suffer harvest failures as Sinabung's volcanic activity continues to increase,' he said.
On Thursday, Mt. Sinabung erupted again, spewing volcanic ash and pyroclastic clouds. The number of Sinabung evacuees is reported to have risen to 26,174.
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is scheduled to visit evacuation shelters in Kabanjahe, Karo regency, North Sumatra, on Thursday.
Emergency response commander Saberina Ginting said during his stay in Kabanjahe that Yudhoyono planned to visit several evacuation shelters and stay overnight in the area. (ebf)
- Parties launch diversity campaign, counter anti-Ahok rally
- Setya Novanto, Surya Paloh stand up for diversity after anti-Ahok rally
- Trump's call inspires hope in Taiwan, concern in Beijing
- Ahok supporters lambasted for bringing party attributes to Car Free Day
- Transjakarta summons operator for allegedly renting out buses for political gathering
- In remote Indian village, cannabis is its only livelihood
- Jokowi feels euphoria on pitch after victory over Vietnam
- Four dead, one missing as storms lash southern Thailand
- First victim found, 12 remain missing in police plane crash
- Ill-fated police plane carrying 13 exploded after hitting water: Witnesses