Former minister Joop Ave dies aged 79
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Former tourism minister Joop Ave passed away on Wednesday at Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore. He was 79.
The Yogyakartan-born former bureaucrat who served from 1993 to 1998 died after suffering complication from various illnesses for several years.
'This is a great loss for our country,' said Tourism and Creative Economy Minister Mari Elka Pangestu as quoted by Antara news agency.
His family said that he will be taken to his final resting place in either Bali or Yogyakarta.
Mari said that Joop, who earlier served as the majordomo of the presidential palace during the Soeharto era, had pioneered the promotion of Indonesian tourism at international level in the 1990s. He established the tourism hospitality standard for the ministry, which later affected the industry.
'He was great at archiving and his attention to detail was second to none,' she said.
Joop also wrote several books and guidelines on the tourism and hospitality industry. He was also active in many conservation initiatives for local culture.
Having spent 20 years at the presidential palace's protocol during Soeharto regime, Joop once served as the head of the palace's household division from 1972 to 1978.
He also served as the Foreign Ministry's director general for protocols and consular affairs. He was fluent in English, French and German.
You might also like :
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Number of missing in California fire soars past 1,000 as Trump set to visit
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- After Gabo book purge, Kuwait bans Dostoyevsky
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know