Evacuation routes for Mt. Slamet prepared
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Central Java
Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) has prepared evacuation routes and shelters
in response to Mt. Slamet's increased volcanic
Head of the rehabilitation and reconstruction division at the Central Java BPBD, Arus Horizon, said that his agency had coordinated with the five regencies that would most likely be affected by any large-scale eruptions in setting up evacuations posts. Mt. Slamet is currently at level II alert status (out of four) with a 2-kilometer danger zone around the volcano.
More than 174,000 residents in 34 villages in the five regencies could be affected if the situation escalates, said Central Java BPBD head Sarwa Permana.
'According to the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Center [PVMBG], Mt. Slamet has a different character than other volcanoes. Evacuation is not necessary right now even though it is at alert status,' Sarwa said, adding that the nearest villages were located around 6 km from the crater.
You might also like :
- Airport trains no longer have single fare
- Twitter says Russia-linked accounts more widespread
- French founder strives to elevate Indonesian brand at Maison&Objet
- Tom Petty died of accidental overdose: family
- Satpol PP officer dies after being hit by airport train
- Electronic parking meters on Jl Sabang to be reactivated
- Europe brings on charm and blue skies to lure Chinese tourists
- Facebook to let users rank 'trust' in news sources
- FBI investigating new person of interest in Vegas shooting
- Average British dinner lasts 21 minutes: survey