Evacuation routes for Mt. Slamet prepared
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Central Java
Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) has prepared evacuation routes and shelters
in response to Mt. Slamet's increased volcanic
Head of the rehabilitation and reconstruction division at the Central Java BPBD, Arus Horizon, said that his agency had coordinated with the five regencies that would most likely be affected by any large-scale eruptions in setting up evacuations posts. Mt. Slamet is currently at level II alert status (out of four) with a 2-kilometer danger zone around the volcano.
More than 174,000 residents in 34 villages in the five regencies could be affected if the situation escalates, said Central Java BPBD head Sarwa Permana.
'According to the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Center [PVMBG], Mt. Slamet has a different character than other volcanoes. Evacuation is not necessary right now even though it is at alert status,' Sarwa said, adding that the nearest villages were located around 6 km from the crater.
You might also like :
- Taipei guide: Four places where fireflies light up the night sky
- Six Singaporean military personnel deported after Batam raid
- Bali declared world's top destination for 2017
- Norwegian man caught stealing iPhone at Garuda lounge
- Duterte says he can be 50 times more brutal than terrorists
- Nearing 100-day mark, Trump says milestone not 'meaningful'
- Kanye West, adidas announce launch of newest Yeezy sneakers
- The sad saga of North Korea's ATMs
- Anies refuses to talk about programs until official election result
- French stocks soar to near-decade highs as Macron tops poll