Evacuation routes for Mt. Slamet prepared
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Central Java
Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) has prepared evacuation routes and shelters
in response to Mt. Slamet's increased volcanic
Head of the rehabilitation and reconstruction division at the Central Java BPBD, Arus Horizon, said that his agency had coordinated with the five regencies that would most likely be affected by any large-scale eruptions in setting up evacuations posts. Mt. Slamet is currently at level II alert status (out of four) with a 2-kilometer danger zone around the volcano.
More than 174,000 residents in 34 villages in the five regencies could be affected if the situation escalates, said Central Java BPBD head Sarwa Permana.
'According to the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Center [PVMBG], Mt. Slamet has a different character than other volcanoes. Evacuation is not necessary right now even though it is at alert status,' Sarwa said, adding that the nearest villages were located around 6 km from the crater.
You might also like :
- Passport stamps becoming a thing of the past
- Govt to take legal action against drillers of illegal oil well after fire
- Three airlines to move to Terminal 3 in May
- Illegal oil exploration activities in Aceh must stop: WALHI
- Candidates for Pertamina's top post submitted to Jokowi: SOE official
- Indian court jails popular guru for life over teen rape
- Music-streaming millennials eye smart speakers
- High-rise buildings must provide access for fiber optics
- At least 10 killed, dozens injured in oil well fire in Aceh
- Jakarta x Beauty festival seeks to promote self-confidence