Evacuation routes for Mt. Slamet prepared
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Central Java
Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) has prepared evacuation routes and shelters
in response to Mt. Slamet's increased volcanic
Head of the rehabilitation and reconstruction division at the Central Java BPBD, Arus Horizon, said that his agency had coordinated with the five regencies that would most likely be affected by any large-scale eruptions in setting up evacuations posts. Mt. Slamet is currently at level II alert status (out of four) with a 2-kilometer danger zone around the volcano.
More than 174,000 residents in 34 villages in the five regencies could be affected if the situation escalates, said Central Java BPBD head Sarwa Permana.
'According to the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Center [PVMBG], Mt. Slamet has a different character than other volcanoes. Evacuation is not necessary right now even though it is at alert status,' Sarwa said, adding that the nearest villages were located around 6 km from the crater.
You might also like :
- Jakarta officials confirm Ahok returned Rp 1.2b in operational funds
- 7 people caught red-handed by KPK in alleged bribery case
- Ahok resigns from post, returns money
- Ramadhan begins on Saturday, govt says
- Children’s book launched to promote Indonesian culture, wildlife
- Five people arrested in relation to Jakarta twin suicide bomb attack
- Further attacks feared
- Study finds moratorium does little to curb deforestation
- Maria Ozawa, Filipino-Spanish BF in first pictorial as a couple
- NU intensifies monitoring to curb radicalism during Ramadhan