Sexual abuse feared to be systematic, says lawyer
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
A lawyer representing the family of a Jakarta International School (JIS) student who suffered sexual abuse at the school says he fears the sexual assault was premeditated and systematic.
'The victim says that the perpetrators were four men and one woman. That should tell us that the crime was committed systematically,' lawyer Andi M Asrun said on Thursday as quoted by tempo.co.
He said there could be more than five perpetrators. In fact, he went on, there was a possibility that his client was not the only victim.
He said that there was an indication of similar, earlier, abuse because some other parents of JIS students had raised the same concerns during an internal meeting.
'Likely there are more victims,' he said.
He said if necessary a lawsuit could be filed against the school as it was proven that the school had failed to spot and deter such crimes.
The alleged sexual abuse case was revealed on Monday and involves members of the school's cleaning staff.
The Jakarta Police have questioned nine witnesses including the victim's mother, teachers and school staff. Two people from the cleaning service staff have been named suspects. (idb/dic)
You might also like :
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Setya Novanto e-ID graft case timeline
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Maria Simorangkir crowned Indonesian Idol 2018
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Rp 1 trillion invested through Bareksa digital investment portal
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'