Sexual abuse feared to be systematic, says lawyer
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
A lawyer representing the family of a Jakarta International School (JIS) student who suffered sexual abuse at the school says he fears the sexual assault was premeditated and systematic.
'The victim says that the perpetrators were four men and one woman. That should tell us that the crime was committed systematically,' lawyer Andi M Asrun said on Thursday as quoted by tempo.co.
He said there could be more than five perpetrators. In fact, he went on, there was a possibility that his client was not the only victim.
He said that there was an indication of similar, earlier, abuse because some other parents of JIS students had raised the same concerns during an internal meeting.
'Likely there are more victims,' he said.
He said if necessary a lawsuit could be filed against the school as it was proven that the school had failed to spot and deter such crimes.
The alleged sexual abuse case was revealed on Monday and involves members of the school's cleaning staff.
The Jakarta Police have questioned nine witnesses including the victim's mother, teachers and school staff. Two people from the cleaning service staff have been named suspects. (idb/dic)
You might also like :
- Obama’s Bali trip includes museum visit, rice terraces, rafting adventure
- 7-Eleven loses steam due to alcohol ban, tight margin: Business group
- Pakistan marks grim Eid after oil tanker inferno kills 153
- As maids enjoy 'mudik,' Greater Jakarta families stay at hotels
- Medan attack perpetrators want to steal weapons for next terrorist operations: Police
- Jokowi enjoys 'mudik' to Surakarta for Idul Fitri
- N. Jakarta officials improve data to pave way for Anies's OK-OCE program
- Malaysian PM commences five-day vacation in Bali
- Medan Police attackers linked to IS: Police
- Jokowi praised for meeting with opposition Muslim organization during Idul Fitri