Atut's sister probed for money laundering
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
One week after confiscating a Jaguar from South Tangerang Mayor Airin Rachmi Diany, the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) summoned Ratu Tatu Chasanah, the sister of Banten Governor Ratu Atut Chosiyahin, the deputy regent of Serang, for questioning in relation to two Mercedes-Benz sedans that the antigraft body had earlier seized.
The KPK has alleged that the two luxury cars, which the KPK seized on Thursday last week, could be tied to money laundering activities allegedly committed by Airin's husband ,Tubagus Chaeri 'Wawan' Wardana, who is also the younger brother of Atut. On the same day, the KPK also seized a Pajero SUV from Wawan.
Speaking after being questioned, Tatu maintained that she was innocent and that the two cars had nothing to do with money laundering.
She said one of the cars belonged to Atut and the other to her.
'You can check with the car dealership where I bought the car in 2011. I also have submitted supporting documents to KPK investigators,' Tatu told reporters at KPK headquarters on Monday, adding that the Mercedes-Benz belonging to Atut was purchased in 1997.
Meanwhile, the Jaguar, which the KPK seized on April 18, was registered under Airin's name.
As of Monday, the KPK had confiscated around 80 vehicles, ranging from luxury brands such as Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bentley and Rolls Royce to big trucks.
Some of the confiscated vehicles are registered under Airin's name, prompting antigraft watchdogs to call on the KPK to charge Airin with money laundering.
The antigraft body said that it would not charge Airin and Tatu with graft anytime soon. 'Not yet,' Johan said briefly.
You might also like :
- Uber tops 500,000 signatures on petition to halt London ban
- Thousands flee rumbling Mount Agung
- Residents near Mt. Agung begin to relocate their livestock
- Keep calm and enjoy Bali: Tourism association
- Owner of Islamic matchmaking site arrested, charged under Pornography Law
- ‘Unicorn Gundam’ illuminated, dazzles in official unveiling
- New Zealand's English claims mandate to form government
- Wiranto calms fear over weapon shipment rumor
- ‘Otaku’ dating site’s advice to users: Have other interests besides anime
- G30S/PKI film is the correct version of history: Tommy Soeharto